Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of installing the front lower tubular control arm..There is a space between the arm and the rear tang off the frame..Should I use the included washers to make up for the difference between the arm and the mounting flange on the chassis...Thank you

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That's what I did, it also kept everything square to the frame.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a pic of the arm with the washer..if the Pic doesn't come up click on the link and look at pic #107..

I also noticed that the metal bushing does not come all the way out flush with the rubber bushing on the LCA so the rubber would have to compress before the metal bushing comes in contact with the mount...Is this normal??Check out the pic on the link..Thank you

http://community.webshots.com/album/48113182MMXToi

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yes that is normal, also you don't want to tighten the control arms until you are ready to set ride height. Some disagree with this but trust me wait till the engine is in and then set the front and back ride height.

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
480 Posts
Use the washers if they push against the tubular sleeves inside the rubber bushings. If the sleeves fit through the washers it seems as though you will be compressing the rubber bushings against the frame mounts when you tighten it and eliminating the movement of the arm. Just my $.02 You want the arms to be able to move up and down once everything is tight. Bob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
This is a sore point with my build. I originally had the older FFR lower control arms and they barely fit in the tabs. After installing everything I realized I had the wrong IFS bracket for the Cobra "R" setup. Called FFR and returned the short IFS and got back a long IFS and new tubular lower arms..???

Thouhgt it was part of the upgrade so I sent back the original lowers and stuck in the new ones. Get everything back together torques up and then realized that the newer style lowers like the ones shown above are a bit narrower at the flange. Since I did not realize this I collapsed the tabs in on the control arm.

Seems even a 4-ton hydraulic set of jaws would not bend them out. Can not get a good angle to wach it wtith the BFH so I am in a bit of a loss.

The tab is only hitting on the very top of the bushing and then kinda conformed to the control arm.. Instead of being perp to the 4" rail it has a wiggle in it.. With car jacked up and no spring attached the travel worked fine but sure would have liked to put the spacer in there,.

live and pay! :mad:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Joe, FWIW, thanks to this thread, I pulled the rear bolts on my FFR lower arms last night...I'd originally tightened the heck out of them and had pulled the frame tabs inward toward each other. They were no longer parallel to each other or square to the frame. I got a huge old screwdriver I use to pry stuff, shoved it in there between the control arm bushing and the frame tab, pryed, and the tab moved outward from the bushing enough to let me install a washer spacer. Tightened everything back down and it LOOKS fine; seems to handle pretty good too in the street stuff I did last night to celebrate! I didn't remove the FFR control arms, or mess with the front mounting bolts. Those were perfect. So, with the control arms in place, I had something to pry against when moving the frame tab. Anyhow, they now look pretty much like Badcaiman's pic at the address he posted above.

[ August 30, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: John Phillips ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts