Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several posts about the new FFR ignition switch not shutting the engine off when the key is turned off. Add me to those posts. My engine keeps running about one second after the key is turned off and sometimes the engine chugs or backfires after the key is turned off. :( Pete

·
2,746 Posts
Pete,

Here is the info for the diode I installed yesterday on mine.

It came from WWW.MOUSER.COM.

Mouser
Part # Mfr.'s
Part # Manufacturer
Description
Your Part # Order
Qty. Price Ext. Status Date Mouser
Invoice #
511-BYW80FP-200 BYW80FP-200 ST Ultra Fast/Damper Diodes
20 Amp 200 Volt 3 $1.010 $3.03 3 Shipped
7/26/2007

My build is a new one and I'm still a couple of weeks from first start, but my friend the electrical engineer feels this will head the runon problem off at the pass.

Chris.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I must be lucky...no issues here.

·
FFR Craftsman
702 Posts
I installed a new ignition switch a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the engine runs for a second or so after I turn it off. So, add me to the list.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I think I will just leave my new FFR ignition switch in the bag it came in!

Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris: I have a big diode, where do I mount it. Pete

·
4,494 Posts
I passed this issue and previous thread on to FFR Tech support last week to review. Got response that they are reviewing matter.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

·
Charter Member
183 Posts
Mine works great without any diodes or run-on.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Ignition and acc. would be connected with the key "on". With the key in "acc." position, it would just be acc.
If the fan is back feeding thru the acc. side it could be leaking thru to the ign/acc terminal.
Make sence?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
For anyone replying to this post,whether you have to problem on not, what wiring system are you using??
Donor?
AAW?
Painless?
other?

[ August 04, 2007, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: convincor ]

·
2,746 Posts
The continuity on the switch I have isn't momentary, it just varies when you wiggle the key in the switch (off postion). I bet that shunting diode Bobby has on his is doing the trick we're trying to achieve. The effect is momentary, or how ever long the fan turns while winding down. During that time, it's not a fan, it's a generator.

Chris.

[ August 04, 2007, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Cwood8656 ]

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
I put the new switch in my car. Once I did I have the problem of the car running for about 1 second also. Never had a problem till I changed the switch so it is the switch that is causing the problem

·
5,559 Posts
I think, I'll hold off installing mine until a definitive solution has been established! Do any of you guys that have the run-on problem have a start button? My setup uses the keyed switch just to power up the ignition button, as well as kill the engine. I wonder if having the start button in series would isolate the circuit to prevent the run-on?

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is wired to the new switch with a start button for the start. It runs on when the key is turned off. Never had this problem with the el cheapo ignition switch I replaced. Also, it only does this when the fan is operating. So, therefore, the fan + switch is the culprit. Either a rewire or a diode is in my future. Pete

1 - 20 of 46 Posts