Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my FF hooker headers out of the box last night... uh, not exactly what I expected. They all had these very rough indentations on them, you can see them in the pictures, but they are even more noticable in person and they feel horrible. Looks like the same thing you would get if you painted something then wrapped it in a cloth before it completely dried. Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before, has any idea of what it could be, or what I should do? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Those marks are from the mandrel when they bent the tubes.

·
5,042 Posts
I would hav ethought they would smooth them before applying the finish. I would not be satisfied with this. maybe the main forum could help with other people who have ordered the same parts?

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Many people have complained about this exact thing in the past, so you are not alone. I agree with 2Sav, they should polish these marks out before they coat the pipes, it's ridiculous considering the amount of money they cost.

Tom

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any suggestions on action I can take or am I stuck w/ these?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
I've had my kit for over a year and FFR will probably not take mine back but it might be worth a call for you. I seem to remember someone sending their back not too long ago .....

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I also have a set of these. I addressed it with FFR via email with pics and a follow up phone call. I was told that is the way they are produced at Hooker. I called the Hooker factory and got a total hands off attitude. I was told it is a proprietary part for FFR and was made to their specifications. I own the NAPA auto parts store in Daytona Beach, Florida. I have sold Hooker headers for twenty years and have never seen this poor quality. The bottom line is FFR and Hooker have a bunch of unhappy customers. One of them should step up and fix it.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
My thinking is that Hooker makes the headers and has them sent to someone who coats them for FFR. I know the marks are probably part of the fabrication pocess but I think there is probably a fix that Hooker does to their own before coating.The coating looks more thin on these than other Hooker headers I've seen. I can't imagine that Hooker would send them direct in this condition.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, that really sucks :( , those pics show only part of the marks, there are a lot more, and yes, I thought the coating was very thin in a few areas, not very uniform in thickness either. Definitely not the same quality as the side pipes. Well, at least I am not planning for the engine until a few months out... I want these replaced as I want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the info...

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
it almost looks like the coating was not dry and they placed them on something and they left marks
on the headers. i did the same thing at work i painted something let it dry all day wrapped it up
in one of those absorbent pads and when i got home
it left marks on the paint.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, that is what is looked like upon first inspection. But after running my hands over in, I almost cut myself a couple times because it's metal indentations, and some of them are sharp. :mad: Oh well, they were cheap
anyways... uh, NOT!

·
drmcat
596 Posts
Mine look the same way (both sets - I returned the first because of real scratches on them), and I got the same response from FFR.

I'm probably just gonna wrap mine if it's too obvious. You could return or sell yours to fund building new ones from scratch I suppose...

mcat

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine look the same also. I'll have a really nice car with a crappy set of FFR Hooker headers. Hooker proably builds them to FFR's spec's. If it is not spelled out in the contract, Hooker will do as little as possible to increase their profit. FFR just needs to change their spec's to include polishing or deburring blemishes prior to coating. Of course FFR will then charge everyone more for a set, but for $450 or whatever they were, they should look much better.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Have the same problem....I'm hopping they will fit right...not get in the way of the upper steering u-joint like some others have had.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Pretty much all of them look like that. I got two sets and both had the mandrel marks. I just ranted on the backordered parts thread so I will let this go.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Same story here. You could send them back and request a new set but they would look the same. Best solution, and not a cheap one considering what they cost up front, is to have them smoothed and recoated.

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, considering the replys above and the fact that I will be dropping close to $40k
on this project, this is acceptable... wait :eek: ... that's not what I meant!? :D

But overall, I am a little dissapointed that when spending this amount of cash and time that you have to settle for inferior products. Granted I could spend a whole lot more and get a better product, but at some point the amount spent over what you are getting is too much. I think I am about there. But thanks for the quick feedback from the forum.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts