Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best $250 spent...well, one of many $250 well spent!

'nuff said.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
Nice Job Jay,
At least something on the build went as planned... I didnt get a call so it must have been pretty straightforward! Those buttonhead screws really dress it up! You ready for inspection yet? Later

Mike

·
Master Paint Chipper
1,374 Posts
Looks good Jay. I'm just to that point in my build as well. Last night I installed my windshield, next step is fitting the FFR Hood hinge. I'm a little nervous about drilling the holes for the rivit/screws, but I guess I should just jump in. I like the way you mounted yours, and how it sets off from the hood. I'm not planning on bonding mine to the hood. I love the mechanical look of the hinge, as a separate part, and not blended in. Keep up the good work.

Matt

·
5,573 Posts
Some observations from having just done mine. I would set the front of the hoop further back on the hood that what the instructions suggest, or better yet, install the hinge and then set the hood on top and mark it from below. Mine ended up having the front links interfere with the 3/4 frame member above the rad and it wouldn't sit down with the hood edge right to the front of the opening. I ended up notching the linkages to fit and it is now perfect but that could have been avoided.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
I agree the FFR hinge is a trick piece and mechanically well designed. However, good luck getting your hood to lay flat inside the body opening with that hinge. I was never able to do it. You will find that most of the good body shops/painters who regularly do FFRs, do not like and do not use the FFR hinge in large part because it is very difficult to get the curve out of the hood with that hinge. Not impossible, but very hard. However, I have heard that things are better with the Mark III hood that has the hoop already bonded in.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be legal next week.

My hood will need a little tweeking prior to paint as well, but for this year...it's close enough!

Jay

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Hey Red, Picking up on what Lawman said, I found on my car putting a 1/8 to 3/8" thick by 1" wide piece of aluminum bar stock 6-8" long between the chassis frame and body at appropriate locations helps make the hood to body fit really nice. The body is pretty flexible and can be lifted easily to insert the "shim" without really stressing the body. Try using pieces of a paint stirrer stick for testing.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve O: They are 10-32 X 5/8" long SS with a washer and nylock nut.

I also swapped in (4) carriage bolts for the brackets that bolt to the body, this way you don't have to drill holes in the F-panel

(all advice courtesy of FFcobra forum!)

Inspection on Tuesday!

·
Registered
44 Posts
From your picture, it looks like the button head bolts are off set to the right from the center line of the hood. I had the same issue and have been looking at other pictures and seeing it there. This will not be a concern if you are not planning to have stripes, however it will look less than desirable with stripes added. I am having the body shop glass the hood hoop to the hood and fill in the bolt holes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts