Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
You mean exhaust headers, between the engine and side pipes, right? FFR doesn't make them in-house, to the best of my knowledge. Small block headers are from BBK. 351 and big block used to be Hooker, don't know if they still are. Lots of discussion about fitment issues with every version of header, but I don't think there has been concern about long term durability.

I don't think there are any off-the-shelf options. Some guys have gone the custom route.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
You can do shortys an J pipes.

For 4 inot 4s, there is a vendor that does custom headers. They send you an adjustable jig that you get everything in place, lock it down and send it to them. I can't remember the name, but a search should find it.

I haven't heard of any header failures.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Some things to think about:

Shorties & J-Pipes

pros - easy to fit and some adjustability, cheaper, able to use donor engine manifold, j-pipe has fitting for o2 sensor, can run cats if needed.

cons - don't look as cool, j-pipe is kinda cheesy looking to me, couple of the bolts are a pita to get tight against the head.

Long headers

pros - look cool, louder (could be a pro or a con), I assume they are easier to bolt to the engine.

cons - fitment issues seem prevalent, have to use shims to tweak side pipe alignment, louder, need to weld in a bung for efi (which is only reading one tube), no option for cats if needed.

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
4 into 4 positives

• “Long tube” exhaust flow superior to the J-pipe and mustang headers
• No need for remote oil filter (big plus in my opinion!)
• 4x4 pipes move heat away from a mechanical fuel pump and lines on the driver’s side
• On the passenger side it moves heat away from low mounted accessories such as alternator.
• Cleans up the engine bay and they look good as opposed to the j-pipes and mustang headers.

4 into 4 negative

• Number 1 biggest negative is the expense, $650 + shipping (so $700 all in??) and that’s for the ceramic coating, not stainless.
• Side pipe angles have been an issue but can be resolved with a gasket wedge.
• Others with more knowledge may chime on this one but I believe that there are no O2 bungs on the 4x4’s, (last I checked anyways) and the 4x4 design does not allow for optimal O2 sensor location as opposed to the j-pipe which matches the OEM location.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I went with the 4-into-4 BBK headers on my 302.

As stated, Pros:
#1: Looks!!
#2: Performance
#3: Looks!! (Silver Ceramic coated are great looking)
#4: Originality
#5: did I say Looks yet?
#6: cheaper than custom headers
#7: clear footboxes well (in fact, I expanded the passenger FB into the engine bay a bit)

Cons:
> More expensive
> Can't run Cats
> O2 sensor is a pain to install and a compromise (1 tube, or @ collectors on sidepipe)
> some say fitment, but mine bolted up easy and align with no problems

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
i believe Gordon Levy makes a sweet set of tuned headers for either SBF

mine are the hookers for the 351w not to many issues, just gasket leaks:glare:fixed that a few times
the bolts suck if you can get a set of headers for the multi bolt pattern that have the connections farther away where you can actually get a wrench on them with EASE. my heads have the bolt locations just the headers do not, hooker nees to adjust the mounting plate for this and allow room for the plugs.
i pinged the side of my tubes with a brass punch to make it easier to bolt up.
oh did i mention the mounting plates not being flat and true:evil:i fixed that with copper gaskets
have fun.
looks like Gordons are looking better already:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cobra Kit Car Headers . Guaranteed to fit and they do .Priced reasonably both mild steel and Stainless versions. Yes I'm bias as I helped develope the adjustable fixture. With there system there is no my engine is out of level .No my driver side is higher or lower than pass side .In simple terms there stuff works period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.