Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on running A/C in my MK4. The engine is a 2001 4.6L 2V out of a Mustang GT. The FFR headers hit the back of the stock A/C compressor. As it bolts directly to the block, I'm not sure of a solution to this problem. Is there another compressor that will bolt into the stock location that is shorter? Is there a mount that locates the compressor down below the header. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You might have to get creative and make a relocation bracket that moves the AC compressor down and away from the header. Take a look at the Vintage Air website, they sell a very popular AC compressor called a Sanden, it appears to be smaller than the OEM compressor. Either way, you are going to have to figure out a way to mount a compressor out of the way.
Another option would be to have the header modified to create clearance to the AC compressor as mounted. Something is going to need to be modified, your choice as to which approach is the easier way to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to work out the fitment issue by using a FB20 Compressor found on V8 Explorers that is slightly smaller, but has S/D ports located at the middle of the compressor instead of the end. Since it's a Ford compressor, mounting and pulley alignment were spot on. I still had to dimple the header slightly to clear the rear of the compressor. Suction and Discharge fittings are needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts