Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the slip yoke (trans output) supposed to be hollow? I purchased the shortened drive shaft from FFR for 351/T-5/8.8 solid axle and installed it without a problem. Car drives nice and everything seemed good until I jacked the front end up and found trans oil dripping out the slip yoke. Further inspection revealed the yoke is hollow. I haven't looked further into it but is there supposed to be a freeze plug or something in there? Probably should have examined closer before I installed it but I think you all understand the excitement when we get this close.:001_tongue:

· FFR Bandit
407 Posts
Not to sound like a "jack", but how else would it interface with the trans output man?

The seal at the end of the trans tail shaft is what keeps the fluid inside; check and make sure that is seated/ in place correctly.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Note that some transmission rebuilders don't install a thin film of RTV around the seal before installing it in the transmission. Mine had a leak that looked like the yoke but in fact was simply trans fluid slipping between the metal edge of the seal and the edge of the transmission. I was able to pry the seal back enough to spread a light film of RTV around the edge before tapping it back into place (with the driveshaft still installed :)) and eliminated the leak.

HTH
Todd

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Yoke?

Is the slip yoke (trans output) supposed to be hollow? I purchased the shortened drive shaft from FFR for 351/T-5/8.8 solid axle and installed it without a problem. Car drives nice and everything seemed good until I jacked the front end up and found trans oil dripping out the slip yoke. Further inspection revealed the yoke is hollow. I haven't looked further into it but is there supposed to be a freeze plug or something in there? Probably should have examined closer before I installed it but I think you all understand the excitement when we get this close.:001_tongue:
Is there a metal cap inside the yoke by the U joint? There is supposed to be a pressed in plug like a freeze plug in there to prevent oil from coming down the splines and out the back. If the plug is there, it may be installed incorrectly and allowing oil to leak. Is oil coming from the yoke by the U joint or from the transmission tail shaft seal? Note, on some brands of trans yoke, there is a small hole drilled in the plug to allow air to escape when the factory installs the yoke because they don't have time to slide it in slowly. If there is a small hole, clean it thoroughly and put some silicone over it or some aluminum flue tape to seal it. Here's what it should look like from the rear. You can just barely see the plug.

Ford Racing M-4841-B Transmission Yoke C4 T5 AOD 28 spl : Amazon.com : Automotive

Ron

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're not sounding like a Jack, you just didn't think of your response before you sent it. Of course the yoke slips on to the trans output. However, the end of that bore (nearest the u-joint) should be capped with a freeze plug or something. Otherwise road debris will get into the spline.:glare:

Not to sound like a "jack", but how else would it interface with the trans output man?

The seal at the end of the trans tail shaft is what keeps the fluid inside; check and make sure that is seated/ in place correctly.

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Plug?

You're not sounding like a Jack, you just didn't think of your response before you sent it. Of course the yoke slips on to the trans output. However, the end of that bore (nearest the u-joint) should be capped with a freeze plug or something. Otherwise road debris will get into the spline.:glare:
P51:

So is there a plug in there or not? Inquiring minds want to know. No plug---oil gets out---junk gets in.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.