Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I was just reading my new issue of The Shelby American (#75) and on page 40 they have a very nice sidebar about Dick (202 mph in a Cobra, wow!) plus they also mention that FFR will be building a handful of Dick Smith replicas. Any truth to that? Sorry if this topic was brought up before but I missed it if it already was.

Thanks,

KC

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to join the Shelby owners club. They even let us replica owners in. Actually you don't even have to own a car, just pay them the money. Good old American enterprise system at work!

KC

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
hmmm...

That would be another good reason that his car was trailered to FFR last year and spent a number of weeks there! (In addition to just wanting it there) :D

#198 replica, now that would be cool!

R :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very cool! I'll be first in line for one of those.

pauL

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Mine

Replicated after seeing Dick's car last year. It was at Moochfest. Graphics and numbers are slightly smaller than on Dick's car and owner/driver was changed to me.

I went a step further and traded my 15 year old COM time trial number 29 for #198. My CRX racecar now carries #198 and "just in case" I decide to run the Cobra on the track, it's already got the number.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,707 Posts
Hey and maybe they made a mold of the rear half of the car and will get rid of the pointy trunk and perky butt.Now that would be good!!

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Cool. Nice replica Jack. Nothing like paying tribute to a legend.

And Craig, no offense, to each his own, but OOOOOOH, if you ever met my ex-girlfiend Nicole, you would have a soft (?) spot for perky butts. She had the finest, firmest, most perfectly round pair of roasts.

But your right, on the Cobra, a droopy butt kinda adds to the English flare of the car.

·
983 Posts
Guys,

I wanted to address this question personally since it involves work that was being done before Dicks death.

Dicks funeral and memorial service was yesterday and today we are in so cal getting ready for the Knotts show and the HB cruise-in. I will post more on the beautiful tributes later.

A year ago Dick and I had a conversation about his car and FFR. Dick wanted a Coupe and I told him I wanted to build a Mk4 version FFR with a focus on authenticity and comfort.

Dick and I agreed to build a signature edition FFR in honor of his car #198. We were going to digitize his exact body and combine it with the Mk4 upgrades.

All of this is on hold as we will defer to the family (his wife Heather) and there is just no way I can put together a plan so soon in the face of this tragedy.

If all of you could have been at the service, you would be filled with love and respect for this man who lived a remarkable life of accomplishment and service.

He was a genuine hero and we are struggling to find a way to memorialize him in an appropriate way.

The news came from Dick and not from us.
Dave Smith
from the road in So Cal

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dave, saw the pictures of the service over at Club Cobra. A great tribute to a great man. Our hearts go out to all his family and let's everyone show our respect on Saturday with the Moment of Thunder salute to Dick all across this great country.

KC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts