Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently snow birding in FL. Our mail is shipped to us once per week. This morning I was going through the weekly mail and much to my surprise, I found a large envelope from FFR.

In it, I found a reinforcement for the cast aluminum Wilwood clutch pedal and instructions for installing it. I had heard that there had been some issues with broken clutch pedals in some cars using the cable clutch. I made some inquiries with Wilwood about this about a year ago. They told me I could upgrade to a forged pedal arm.

Apparently, the design of the clutch cable quadrant to the pedal with an offset causes twisting forces on the cast aluminum pedal which will eventually break it. The 2010 and later kits (MK4, Type 65 and Hot Rod) all had an upgraded Wilwood pedal box with stronger forged pedal arms. FFR is also offering the forged arm at cost +shipping as an alternative to the reinforcement.

Since I had decided to use a 10 1/2" diaphragm type clutch with fairly low pedal pressure, I didn't do anything about the pedal issue when it came to my attention. I will now install the reinforcement as a preventive measure.

In the past I have complained some about FFR's failure to help us early adopters with issues like this (the awful fuel tank as an example). Now, I have to say they have done a good job in providing a fix for this problem. Credit should be given when it is due.

Racerboy1a
#99 302/347, 3-link, coupe

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I started this thread, I did a little more research and found quite a bit of information about this clutch pedal issue in the roadster forum. I didn't realize that the Wilwood pedal box was universal to pretty much all of the FFR kits.

There was some significant debate concerning the effectiveness of the fix and it was noted that excessive wear on the pedal pivot was being seen by some builders. Many recommended converting to a hydraulic clutch. It did seem that the builders with high effort clutches were the ones having the problem.

So, I guess I will install the fix and while I'm doing it, grease up the pedal pivot pin and hope for the best. Of course, I just installed the body for the umpteenth time which will make it harder to do but after awhile, you just get numb to it and soldier on.

Racerboy1a
#99 302/347, TKO, 3-link, coupe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.