Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of treated and advancing cancers, Tom Smith of Salisbury, NC left us this afternoon.

Jeff Collins picked up our sister FFRs in December of 2001. I built mine in Fort Mill, SC and Tom in his basement, removing the glass doors when he was finished. We had several Cobra adventures over the years, Whitby Christmas Parties, getting all the way to the LCS and Amelia Island some years back. Tom never put the miles on 3174 as we did MARIAH, but he loved to crank that thing up and run around town with those 4:11 gears. In these past couple of years, pain in his feet limited his outings.

Tom was a RARE life long friend as we shared adventures and mis-adventures from our early teen years in Spencer, NC (some of which we still do not talk about in public!), through our USMC service, raising families, vocations & vacations, building those two FFRs and for the last 30 years, sharing a property line, spring-head and footpath connecting our mountain get-a-ways.

Love your families, treasure your true friends and make memories with both.

Phillip...SemperFi

·
Registered
698 Posts
my condolences, thanks to both of you for serving. Just plain sucks to lose friends.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,687 Posts
Condolences to all of his friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,253 Posts
Phillip, so sorry to hear about Tom. He was a great guy and always ready to talk "car talk",
We will miss him.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,783 Posts
My thoughts and prayers to Tom's family, and their friends.

It's always sad to hear of another brother passing from the F5 family.

Doc

·
Registered
830 Posts
Prayers to you and Tom's family. Cancer is a real bummer.
Remember him well and he will always be with you.

·
Snake Farmer
10,274 Posts
So nice that you had the times you did together, and could share the experience and fun, of owning and driving the same kind of cars. So sorry for you losing a good friend.

·
Vegasjack
84 Posts
RIP brother Cobra owner. I didn't have the opportunity to know you, but feel the loss all the same. Hope you get your own parking space up there. It would be well deserved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Phillip,

It is hard to find friends that you spend a lifetime of adventures with. It's harder still when you lose them. My deepest sympathies to you and yours, and especially Tom's family.

Semper Fi,
marshc56

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Phillip,

I am very sorry to read this. I too have a similar life-long friend and can only imagine the loss you are feeling. Cherish the memories and smile when you think of him.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts