Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that the car will never be officially finished, but its done enough for now. I bought it back in June 2008 in a partially completed state. I've jokingly said that "In my excitement of owning a Cobra, I didn't realize the builder stopped looking at the build manual at Page 13." So along with the necessary swap of Bilsteins, and paint by Batman, we embarked on a long journey to ressurrect FFR # 5519. Needless to say we added a lot as we went along and found more problems with the original build.
Look here for pictures and details of the rebuild.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197551

I officially took the car home from LK Motorsports on 2/5, but I was waiting for better weather to get some outside pictures. Amazingly, we have been in a downpour ever since I started the car to pull it out of the shop and take it home Thursday. Well, today there was a break in the rain so I pulled it into the street and took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, checking the steering by dodging puddles. I can't say enough about how good of a job and pleasure it was to have LK Motorsports(especially Alister) redo the car. The ride difference is unbelievable!! And of course Batmans paint looks so much better in real light than under the flourescents. I can't wait to see it in the sun.

Alright, I know you aren't reading this anyways, you skipped to the pictures a long time ago.

Here are the details:

Original builder used a 1994 Mustang GT as donor. Not much from the donor is remaining. The motor, rear axle, and gas tank are from the donor(and will be replaced someday), everything else is new.

Rear: Koni 4 link, tubular LCAs
Front: Koni, FFR A-arms, bumpsteer
Brakes: new PBR front/rear, 7" brake booster
Motor: 1994 302, well seasoned. Demon Speed 575, Marcus MS 1.5 equal length, MSD 6AL-2, FFR Radiator
Paint: by Jeff "Batman" Miller Customs
Hugger Orange, White, Black, Grabber Blue
Rims: 17" Halibrands, powdercoated flat black(most metal done flat black)
Interior: Mercedes wool, custom seats and other pieces, by Tom at LK Motorsports

· Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, as I mentioned, we are having the first rain in months, and it literally started when I started the Cobra to pull out of LK Motorsports shop to bring it home. We quickly pulled it back in and waited.
And waited, and waited. Finally at about 5pm, with no ride home(35 miles away), I called AAA to see if they could do anything. Minutes later, the truck showed up. We talked about some options, and decided that we would wrap the interior in plastic, towels, and then a car cover over all that.

Of course there was rush hour traffic and it was raining(anyone who lives here knows what a mess that is). It took us almost 2 hours to get back. I carefully pulled out the covers and the interior was not too wet. The floors were damp, but nothing else.

So, its fitting that since it went to LK Motorsports on a flatbed, that it would come back home on one.

Next to my 2002 Roush.

· Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As I mentioned, Jeff "Batman" Miller was responsible for the amazing paintjob.
I must give a HUGE THANKS to member Mark06Gt who made me about 1,000 different paint scheme renderings before what I finally decided on. I knew all along that I wanted something that was like the Gulf racing scheme. I finally went to a paint supplier and starting picking colors. Ended up with 1970 GM Hugger Orange as the base color. I always wanted the rookie stripes, and I took a sample of the orange to Mustang Etc. and held it next to my favorite Mustang color, 1969 Grabber Blue, and it looked awesome to me!!

The interior is all custom from LK Motorsports interior guy named Tom.
He added the orange piping to the seats. We also added cobraheat.com seat heaters. I had the shift-boot made with orange stitching, and a pocket put next to the driver tunnel. The cupholder is the plastic one that Cobraearl has, which I can throw in the trunk when showing the car.
I had a set of Vroom Enterprises door panels but ended up returning them once I saw how good the doors looked.

When Batman returned the car from paint, he had added a Nemo to the steering wheel, so I think Nemo has found a home for now. Shark bait!!

Rear view. No doubting what the car is with the license plate.

· Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
New motor. The 302 was pulled after over 100K service.
In its place now is a 331, forged, with Mass Flo EFI.

Millerspeed custom pulleys. millerspeed.com

While I was shooting the car for a video I will post later, Lang said "You want me to do a burnout?"
I said sure and grabbed the camera.

I must say, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

· Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here are a few extra pictures. Finishline windwings, sun visors, and louvres.
AC pedals and Cobra shift knob. Cobra emblem on dash. (There are no Cobra, or any emblems for that matter, on the body)
Signed by Jack Roush at the 2010 Mustang Reveal, and by Carroll Shelby for a donation.

Full Disclosure: I had the dash signed days before the lawsuit against FFR-LK Motorsports-FFCars came to light. I have been torn up about it ever since then, but one thing has not changed. No matter what the current situation is, I am and will always be a fan of Shelby. I have a 3 1/2 yo. daughter we named Shelby who was born with a heart defect. I wanted to make the donation to CSCF. Nothing more needs to be said about it.

This was before Tom made the custom shifter boot. The original builder cut the tranny hole in the wrong spot, so with the rubber boot it would knock it out of 4 and R. If you look at the new boot, it wraps around the outside of the shifter ring.

17" Halibrands powdercoated flat black. Quickjacks and other metal pieces also flat black. Side-pipes are jet-coated.

I also had Batman paint the stripes on the underside of the hood, and I love it.

Batman did an incredible job with the car. Thank you sir. And I can't wait to see what you're doing with the old hood!!!

As I have time today, I will update the posts with better information, etc.

· Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,368 Posts
Wow! Looks great! That color is sure to get you noticed. Nice job on the interior, just enough to pull in the colors from the exterior without overdoing it. I like the license plate on the C*bra as well. Head off the stupid questions/comments before they even start. Congrats!

· Super Moderator
29,397 Posts
DAMN!!! Now THAT'S the way to graduate - pics of a gorgeous car, video of the engine sound, and a FREAKIN' burnout in a garage!!!:scared:

· Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Beautiful car and a gutsy burnout. Nice Job :)

· FFCobra Craftsman
3,234 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Bill!! Congratulations!!

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Very nice build and a outstanding color combo!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.