Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Caress of Steel
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's done! As done as a project like this ever is, anyway. Back on the road and terrorizing the streets, with people ogling at every stoplight. The paint color seemed to lighten up as it cured...I'm very happy with how the color came out.

The gapping on the doors, hood and trunk could have been better, or I could have been more patient and built the edges back up more. If I waited until everything was absolutely perfect, I'd never be driving the thing. As it happens, and as my luck would demand, got a big old ding in the paint before we even got it out of the garage. As Rena was bringing one of the seats over so I could re-install them, she bumped the fender. OUCH! Oh, well If it was a high-dollar pro paint job I could get upset.

I did some colorsanding on the car over the last week with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper to knock the orange peel down a little bit. Still have more I could do to get it perfectly smooth, but I'll mess with that later. Had to get it put back together this last weekend.

As the saying goes, a friend will help you move, and good friends will help you move a body. I had some good friends come over and help with moving the body off the buck and back onto the chassis. You can see the pieces of foam float thingy I used to fill in gaps where engine compartment air can come through. Made it a pain to lower the body back down.

5/02/05

I didn't get any shots of re-installing the lights, windshield (what a PITA!) and other trim, and I still have a few more items to put in. My front tires were showing a bit of inside wear...I didn't have the toe measurement quite right after getting the replacement rack in after the donor rack cracked, so back on the alignment rack she went.

An engine bay shot...it's a 351 Windsor stroked out to 395 cubic inches. If I can ever get the Holley 650 double-pumper dialed in just right, it should make well over 400 hp. That's with iron Windsor Sr. heads (2.02 in 1.6 ex) and a .519/.523 lift cam and an Edelbrock RPM intake. It shouldn't be too difficult to pull 500 horsies out of it with a more aggressive cam and intake, but I can barely get any traction now.

Front 3/4 view...you can tell in this shot I still need to work on lining the doors up a bit, and even up the ride height front to back. The fun never ends!

And the interior, with nearly-useless Alpine deck and Dell 20mb Digital DJ.

And a shot of Nellie's shapely rear...

There's a high-res version of this shot on my webpage...this is her best angle, IMHO.

Mikey says, "Are we going for a ride or what?!" I'm gonna have to have the seats recovered in a lighter color! He's a shedder.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nice job Joe! She turned out beautiful. I really like the color - what is it? I noticed you had the alignment done after the body was back on. How did that turn out? I'm so scared they're gonna scratch the body in the process.

Jeff

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Congrats, Joe. Maybe we can hookup at an event one of these days. That is if I ever get done with my projects.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,709 Posts
Very nice! Where did you get the grey carpet? The black shows every little dust particle and I'd like to redo mine w/ your color.Thanks

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
Looks Great!! Just in time to enjoy the driving season

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Hey Joe!
Congratulations!
Looks like it turned out nice.

Like Jim, I hope we can hook up one of these days. If you are ever down in Utah with it let us know.
Todd

·
Caress of Steel
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely try to get down there to a Utah event this summer. I wanna check out all the mods you guys have done since I seen 'em last.

There is an event at Pocatello on the 14th and 15th...gonna try to make it down there on one of the days. Y'all should bring the beasts up here to run...the East Idaho club is a great one to run with.

Jeff, the color is Toyota Pacific Blue, color code 8R3. It's on the new 4-runners and a few other of their cars.

·
2,332 Posts
Nice work. I agree with Garage Freak, the paint loos BAD A$$! Congrats!

-SGC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beautiful car. That's a subtle color with a classic look.

How difficult was registration in Idaho? (I'm moving there this summer).

·
Caress of Steel
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

Idaho registration is pretty easy...show 'em the MCO and donor title/receipts for major driveline parts, they slap a VIN tag on the frame, and boom, instant 1965 Ford Cobra.

·
Caress of Steel
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and the carpet is from Lowe's. $3ish per square foot. We just used the FFR carpet as a template. Not the nicest, but yes, the black carpet is impractical if you have a light-haired mutt who likes to go for rides.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks great, Wish I was that far along. Don't worry about the fit of doors. You've got it on the road....That's what matters...You've got all kinds of time to fiddle with it. Don ;)

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
Great job Joe. Congrats. Good color and nice carpet. Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts