Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 ½ years on the road, Ole Blue, FFR 2687, has clocked 50,000 miles on the odometer.

Not as many miles as some of you, and certainly several of my friends in this area, but not too shabby an amount of use for a home-made hobby car.

Although it is driven several times a week year round, most of the miles are the results of the road trips my son Mike and I have made building memories for me when I go to the home.

Our road trips have included: FFR Open House, London Cobra Show, Kit Car Nationals twice, Reptile Roundup, Turkey Run at Daytona Beach, partial runs of the Hot Rod Power Tour twice, North Georgia Mountain Tour, Antique races at Road Atlanta, Back of the Dragon, numerous runs on The Tail of the Dragon, and other routes in Western NC, plus lots of events at Virginia International Raceway, Carolina Motorsports Park, & Myrtle Beach, SC etc.

The car has never stranded us and had to be towed or flat bedded home, and the only time we needed to get out the wrenches was when we had to change a rock damaged radiator in the parking lot of a hotel in Asheville, NC. A call to good ole Advance Auto delivered us a new radiator, etc. and after an expert exchange we were off to The Tail of The Dragon on schedule.

We have really enjoyed the car, but the most value of it, without question, has been the fellowship with all the new friends we have met along the way…just can’t beat it.

Ride often and safely.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
Wow Bob you have hit a ton of bucket list items. Your 50k miles must have been a blast especially since they are shared w/ your son. Do you let your son drive it on these adventures or are you waiting until you are closer to going to 'the home' ?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Way to go, Bob!!!!

Chuck

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sweet, 50K in ten years is pretty good. I have a lot of smiling miles to look foward to. My kids 16,14,8 love to ride in the Roadster, show it to their friends, etc. The best part is when they say "We built it". Congratulations.

·
The Traveler
3,087 Posts
Congratulation!! :001_smile: It truly is amazing how well these cars hold up!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Mike & I have always shared the driving. Our routine is to swap every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, generally refueling every other swap.

We routinely do 500-550 miles a day, and our longest trek was back from the Reptile Roundup in Ocala, FL being, as I recall, 640 miles in 11+ hours.

Before Mike sends me to the home (ha-ha) we hope to make alot more road trips.

On tap before us are: The Moultrie, Ga Swap Meet in November (1050 miles R/T); the 24 Heures De Cobra in Tallahasse, FL (1200 miles R/T) March 2013, and the Birmingham/Chattanooga/Charlotte legs (1200 miles R/T) of the 2013 Hot Rod Power Tour in June.

Again, thanks for your comments, and ride often and safely.

PS. Ralph, we may not catch up with you (ha-ha)...I told Mike if he could quit his job maybe we could have a shot at it. ha-ha

We are always envious of you!

·
Charter Member
2,559 Posts
Bob,

Congrats on all the "miles of smiles" on your car. Will you and Mike be at the Reptile Roundup this year? We've got 4 of us going down from the Atlanta area. If not, see you at the 2013 "24 Heures de Cobra."

Garry

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Garry,

Great to hear from you.

Unfortunatly some other commitments prohibit us from making the Roundup this year but we look forward to catching up with you in Tallahassee in March.

Keep that fine coupe on the track in FL!

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.