Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has any issues with the couple on a manual rack. Sometimes when I’m driving I can only think either it comes loose or falls apart. Are there any mods anyone has done?

·
Registered
660 Posts
have you ever found it to be loose? I'm still building so I have no road experience, but I cannot uncouple the spline adapter unless I remove the steering rack or disassemble the shaft bearing at the firewall. I can't image that it would come completely off, even if it got loose. You could always put some blue locktite at the set screw on the spline adapter and lock nut I suppose

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your coupler has a set-screw/jam nut to secure it, it will always go loose on a splined shaft. The coupler needs to be a pinch-bolt design. Unisteer make good ones. The Flaming River pinch-bolt coupler still uses a set screw and goes loose

·
Registered
396 Posts
I assume you're talking about the coupler that goes to the steering rack. In other posts, there has been discussion about steering wheel play, and people have replaced the hex set screws with 1/4-20 bolts - I did that, and the steering slop essentially went away. I used red loctite as well. MUCH better feel with the bolts. Never liked those damn hex set screws, especially after I rounded off the inside hex part!! See the following post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts