Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,435 Posts
Great looking car. How does one get to be Car of the Month?

-Bill

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Doug, please describe the mods that brought you to 350 hp, and the additional mods that you hope take you to 400. Also, how do those mods affect everyday driveability and reliability? Thanks. Buddy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, we started out with a brand new 97 Explorer 302 with "P" heads. The mods included an E303 cam, Cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, 30lb injectors, computer, 70mm mass air, 190lb fuel pump, 9lb Ford Motorsports supercharger, FMU kit. The rest of the drivetrain mods were to replace the T5 with the Tremec, and 3:27 gears in the rear. Also changed the rear brakes from drum to disk, and installed a bump-steer kit. The mods for next month will be to change out the rear springs for coil-over-shocks, adding a main-cap brace for the bottom end (can't be too sure!)and doing the heads over. The heads will be pocket-ported, 3-angle undercut valves, and roller rockers. I'm really clueless as to how much of a difference doing the heads will make, but what the hell, it's only money right? I plan to dyno it again in the spring to measure the improvements. I'm also putting in quite the audio system this year, hoping that I can hear it over the engine. As far as every day drivability, it's been an absolute blast! I actually take it on sales calls, weather permitting. I will say through, the E303 cam is probably the most radical cam that you'd want for the street.

·
Senior Charter Member
798 Posts
WOW, Looks Great, I am getting ready to buy the Halibrands and yours look pertfect. What is the wheel size and backspacing front and rear? Thanks David

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
IMHO, you would be much smarter to sell your P heads for $400-500.00 and take that money and spend it on a good set of AFR, Trick Flow, or Edelbrock heads.

You will get way more power for maginally more money that you would have to spend to port the P heads.

Alum heads generally due much better in a supercharged environment.

David

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I'm with David (until he gets to the Edelbrock part) - I guess you could sell the special headers with the heads?

Here's another idea: Enjoy it like it is until you blow it up - then upgrade it.

With the SC my guess is you would lose a piston before the block or crank would go.

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Mark dude
... dont pick on my Edelbrock heads... They are not the best for MAX power, but they are top notch quality, fit and finish. as good as OEM Ford.

I made 424 RWPH with a stock cam and Eldelbrock performer heads and intake on a junkyard shortblock :D (with a S-Trim at stock boost)

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts