Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic says it all. For those running an FE motor, how is your radiator setup? Original Cobras had a reverse expansion tank and a drivers side upper rad hose. The FFR radiator uses a pass side hose, which I am assuming works with the standard pass exit expansion tank. But I haven't seen and FFR FE engine bay pics yet, so which setup are you guys running?

Sal

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
I used the Tri States radiator . A short s shaped hose comes out of the radiator then a 7" piece of SS flex hose connected to a short right angle adapter hose to an FE surge tank with the outlet on the passenger side . Looks nice and neat and runs just under the FFR hinge assembly. I will post hose part numbers latter on. I screwed arond with this for too many hours until I got the look I wanted. I will post a picture latter if you tell me how. The bottom hose setup was easier and I will dig those part numbers up too.

·
3,645 Posts
ditto on the tristates, i used a flexible rubber hose from gates from the puke tank to the radiator

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so you guys are using the standard pass side exit surge tanks, and not the original Cobra drivers side exit ones? Also, is there a specific year of FE tank that I need to use? I see lots of them on ebay, but for all different year groups. There are some good deals, I buy don't want to get the wrong one. Thanks!

Sal

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
My surge tank is a "65" C5ME-8A080-A. I think it's from a T bird or Galaxie. Right side exit for the FFR setup. I see the cap placemnt is different too. Some have the cap on the right and some the left. Have it pressure tested as some need repair. Mine was $35 shipped to my door. Nice shape no dents or leaks. G.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I'm using the Griffin Nascar radiator from Summit. The Ford 27 1/2" x 19". It has the passenger side outlet. I bought the overflow tank from Finish Line, assembly it yourself, and can either be drivers, or passenger side outlet.
There's a photo in the photo section, snakebit31.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably do the pass side exit as well. I just want to capture the "look" of the original setup, so I don't need to go nuts getting the original style drivers side exit stuff. Does anyone know off hand what the difference is between the C1 (61-63 Tbird) tank and the C5 (64-65 Tbird) tank?

Also, not to get off subject, but what's the details on the triple resiviour master setup and where do you get it?

Sal

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
The only difference might be the height. The C5 I have is a hair less that 9 1/2" from the base of the thermostat flange to the top of the cap spout.Also my cap is on the other side from snakebit's and in front if it makes a difference.G.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Glenn N.:
The only difference might be the height. The C5 I have is a hair less that 9 1/2" from the base of the thermostat flange to the top of the cap spout.Also my cap is on the other side from snakebit's and in front if it makes a difference.G.
So your tank is still pass side exit like in Snakebit's pic, but you have the cap on the other side?

Sal

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used pritty much the same set-up as BostonBuster
Tri-states radiator with a short pice of hose cut off of the hose that came with the FFR kit, and stanless steel flex hose from there to the surge tank.For the lower hose I just used a long stanles flex hose.
I have severl ford's with many differant surge tanks all of them are the same hight they just moved the cap arownd.From front to back, and left to right side.
P.S. for the lower hose you will need the adapter kit because the water pump end is a lot bigger then the radiator end.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier, I had to put a 1/2" spacer between the tank and the thermostat housing. Without the spacer, the tank hit the distributor, couldn't turn it to set the timing.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,019 Posts
I use the same setup as in the picture above but i use s/s flex hose right from tank to radiator 1200 miles and no problems Bob ffr3226

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
I am back .I went with the "passenger side" outlet because thats the side the Tri states upper outlet is on (all mid 60s TBirds use passenger side outlet) . Ok what I used , From the water pump lower a Gates# 8764 , from the Radiator Lower the hose is stamped 80MH75 (Auto Zone) ,you connect the 2 hose using a short piece of 1 3/4 copper pipe (about 3"),trim the hoses,they butt up to each other so you dont see the pipe . For the Upper , from the surge tank , hose is stamped #80MH50 (Auto Zone) , a shorten piece (6 " or so of a summitt 390024 ss flex hose , and to the radiator I think its the hose Tri- States sells (a Dodge Stelth piece) .
Spent a lot of time in the back room at several parts stores to come up with this. Cut and fit as needed but what you wind up with is a clean look running under the FFR Hood Hinge brackets,shortest possible length and you can eliminate the long length of ugly ss hose.

·
Registered
554 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts