Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am building the next engine, looking at a new starter. MIne is the traditional Ford unit, boring.

I have always had a hard time with a hot start. Battery checks out - good cranking and load test. Put in large battery cables, all connections clean and tight. Have the block grounded, grounding triangle is there and clean.

Motor is quite healthy, aggressive cam, 10:1 comp cold.

So, while the engine is out, what should I bolt on to spin engine #4?

Wiring is not an issue, so no comments needed on that.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And that price is cheap!!!!

No issues? Hmmmmmm...... Order finger is twitching......

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looked at the applications. My block is a 1968 302. Their list does not have this starter on it. But could it work?

As well, I have to measure my flywheel. What are the diameters for the two different tooth count?

·
Registered
62 Posts
All most every pre 1981 engine uses the smaller 157 tooth flywheel. Make sure you have the right size bell housing to match. I believe one of The Mustang II 302’s used a 148 tooth flywheel. Starters should all be the same size. If you had a 28 ounce balancer, you should have a 157 tooth flywheel. 50 ounce where used with the 164 tooth flywheel

·
Senior Charter Member
1,697 Posts
DB does list a starter for the 60's engines-289,302,351, even the 6 bangers. It looks like a regular full size not a mini. Use their search with the appropriate info.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Give Mark at Breeze a call. He will have a couple of options, and the mini-starter that I got from him nearly ten years ago is still spinning my 302.
Dave

·
Junior Charter Member
3,113 Posts
I got a mini starter from Auto Zone after my stock Ford unit couldn't handle the job when hot. Never had a problem since. Price was good.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Looked at the applications. My block is a 1968 302. Their list does not have this starter on it. But could it work?

As well, I have to measure my flywheel. What are the diameters for the two different tooth count?
The block doesn't matter, what bell housing and flywheel does. Remember the starter bolts to the bell housing, not the engine. If you have the old style starter with the separate relay, they are notorious for not working when hot. I tried two new one, both did the some thing, start great cold, barely turn the engine over hot. I bought the one in the link, been 100%. It was on the old car when I sold it, bought the same for my 331, spins it like crazy. NO need to spend 2 or 3 times more.
You have a 331, so that would be the correct starter, with a manual transmission.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,845 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
2,845 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Whatever mini starter Mike Forte sent me hasn’t missed a beat. 510 hp in the engine compartment of my Daytona Coupe.

·
Charter Member
1,753 Posts
I've bought several DB starters. Never had a problem!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting ready to pull the trigger, just want to confirm, as DB has two different part listings.

My combo:
1968 Block, SCAT 331 Stroker kit w/ 5.0 firing order
1989 Bellhousing
Standard size flywheel

Will the DB 3205 Starter be the one?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts