Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been wanting to get my 9 year old son out in the garage helping me more on the car. He has wanted to help, and he asks when we’re out there, “hey pa, can I help you?” For the last few days, I’ve been stealing a bit of time here and there to draw on the aluminum and mark rivet hole locations.

So I get him out there on Saturday with me, he whips on his safety glasses and ear muffs, and I hand him the drill motor. He’s got a grin on from ear to ear.

With my help, he drilled all of the holes so far (after I demonstrated on the first 2) for the cockpit pieces. When we were done, his comment was, “that’s cool!”

Is that “cool,” or what?!?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Very cool indeed! This will be something that he'll always remember. My son was 15 when we started. Two years later and we are waiting for he car to come back from the painter.

It's one of those intangables that comes with building one of these cars.

Doesn't get any better.

Now what till he wants the keys...

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
Mark, Just pick him up at school with it when it's done. He'll be a hero! Then give him the bad news and tell him he has to wait until 25 to get behind the wheel.
Chris

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Nice story. If you have a pneumatic rivet gun, he'll really think that's cool.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
Great story!! Heck with the pneumatic rivet gun. Let him squeeze each and every rivet and he will appreciate it all the more when yougive him a ride to school in it. He can tell all his buddies about popping every rivet by hand.

Hey Gale, I see you have one of the last Mark II's, Do you happen to know the number? I am looking for my sister car.

Mike O.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
I taught my son to shoot aluminum rivets (rivet gun/bucking bar) and how to drill holes. Very cool to have your son helping!!
Mine's a little older now, but he's planning on helping with the build when he can.

Gale, I still need to find time to stop by and check out your build.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan Doug!

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
My son was 18 when we started..

I have to say the father & son potential was my deciding reason for buying the FFR

It has worked out well.. the last piece of the puzzle is getting him insured to drive it at 21.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
"COBRA FUNS" cool.. ;)

·
Cobra Poor
688 Posts
Ever since my 4 year old daughter asked me if I was sleeping under the car (when I was doing the brake lines) she always gets to help work on the car. I figure if she asks, I can find something for her to help with. She marked out the location for all the rivets on the floor panels and even helped me drill a couple after I put some of the marks in the right spot. Now she thinks she gets to pick the color since she "built" the car. The wants pink with purple stripes. I don't think so! So, on any given Saturday my daughter, me and Grandpa can be found tinkering with the car. It is very fun to listen to her talk to her friends at pre-school and tell them how she is helping Daddy build a race car. I shall never forget these moments.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Excellent! Keep him involved with all aspects of the build. You and he will cherish these times forever. My son, then 12, helped me with my Cobra. He's 16 now and is instrumental in the build.

As indicated by others, be sure to pick him up from school. I did that with my son when he was in the 8th grade. The next day, he was the coolest kid in school. They referred to the car as "Anthony's Cobra."

Good luck and keep us posted. Add pics if you have them. He'll really think it's cool to know his picture is on the web.

2FAST

·
8,356 Posts
Originally posted by Gale Kicha:
Is that “cool,” or what?!?
Been there with my son; no words for it...just great.

·
1,913 Posts
The best endorsement for the $20 harbor freight pneumatic riveter is that it's a great way for little kids to contribute safely. My 4 yr old daughter nags me to "hurry up and drill some more holes so I can rivet them" daily. Home Depot carries kids-size safety glasses, I'm still looking for toddler-appropriate hearing protection.

Kevin - looks like I'm not going to be the only one driving a pink and purple Cobra. Apparently mine also is going to have "Butterfly Princess Sparkles" on the tires... think we'll compromise by painting a matchbox Cobra sparkly pink though.

Just great.

·
Junior Charter Member
615 Posts
I remember when I was about 12 my dad was restoring his 66 Stingray. He would bring little parts home - like the shifter knob or door handles, I would spend all night polishing one piece. After it was done I'd spend an entire day washing and detailing it before the antique car parade in the summer.

Of course getting picked up from school or practice was always the coolest part, at least I learned to drive a stick and he said "its better to peel out a little than to stall it". Don't make him wait 'till he's 25 to drive it, I was behind the wheel at 16 and too scared to do anything too stupid.

Great memories for both of you.

·
Charter Member
248 Posts
These are all great stories. My sons are much older and didn't have time to help much. They do however think for their labor that they will be driving it. I've had to let them know that their labor was a "donation" not a partial ownership. They do love the car and talk about it all the time to their friends.

·
Banned
907 Posts
My 10 year old and I went to build school. He riveted (by hand) most of the car. I think he was know as rivet boy by the time he left. Well our car arrived Monday! He and I spent most of the afternoon yesterday and most of the day today marking and drilling the Aluminum. At one point I told him I was going to do this part without his since it seem tedious(mindless). He asked me why. He said I thought we bought the car as OUR project." I guess I have some great times ahead. Still not sure whether he'll let me buy a pneumatic? Everytime I mention it he says no.
Todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.