Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about this last night and saw the article in the local paper.
-----------------
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/10711513.htm?1c

A man and a woman were killed Saturday night when the car they were in slammed into a cement lightpole in Hollywood.

The man driving the blue 1966 Ford Cobra lost control of the car about 8 p.m. in the 4200 block of Sheridan Street. The car was heading west when it hit a curb, launched into the air, and hit a lightpole, killing the driver and his female passenger, said Hollywood police Capt. Tony Rode.

''It was a horrific accident,'' said Rode.

Witnesses told police the Ford was traveling fast.

The two people, who appeared to be in their 50s, had not been identified late Saturday, Rode said.

-----------------
Nothing online about who it was. Very unfortunate. Condolences to the family. Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This is extremely unfortunate regardless of the type of car they were driving. My condolences to their family.

This is a lesson for the rest of us, these cars should be treated with a great deal of respect. As much fun as they are, it's still very easy to get into trouble in one.

Charlie

·
6,654 Posts
The article says they were ejected. How is that possible with the harnesses? I assume they were wearing seat belts but who knows.

I assume that real Cobras had 4 or 5 point harnesses?

My condolences also...

-R

·
15,282 Posts
I posted over on the OT thread. My reaction was the ejection as well. And my assumption is that they were NOT wearing the harnesses. I hope some more info comes out. Not sure that being belted in would have saved them or changed the outcome, but leaving the vehicle is never a good thing...

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
155 Posts
you can have harnesses in a car, but if they mounted improperly they are not much good.

Harnesses should always be mounted to a fixed point on the frame. Some folks merely drill a hole and put a washer around the bolt. In a severe impact, those bolts will rip right through the fiberglass.

Anothe issue is with the traditional duckbill Cobra harnesses. If the latch is not closed ompletely, they can come undone in an accident, I have seen this firsthand at the track.

·
Charter Member
215 Posts
Heard about this last evening news. Color was blue with white stripes, oil cooler appeared to be in the radiator opening. Picts on news were so fast that I could not even distinguish the FF high profile rollbar. Does anyone know who these unfortunate people were. Called Luis Lopez to be sure that it was not him or someone we knew that was out riding last night.. Does anyone have an ID on these people???
I would hope that everyone should know that the rollbar needs to be connected to a hard point and of course used at all times when out in the car.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are more details I found online. Condolences to his wife & children.

Roger Danjean, retired jockey, killed in Broward County crash

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. - Retired jockey Roger Danjean, who won more than 700 races in his 30-year career, was killed in a car crash, police and friends said.

Danjean, 60, and his friend, Linda Mustain, 43, were killed Saturday night as he drove back to a party, police said.

Danjean had been driving Mustain around in his 1966 Ford Cobra convertible at high speed when he lost control of the car, police said. The car hit a median, launched into the air, and crashed into a cement light pole.

Danjean rode mostly in South Florida and the Northeast in his jockey career. He had 16 stakes wins among his 6,000-plus races.

His biggest victories included the 1981 Hopeful Stakes in Saratoga, N.Y., aboard the 2-year-old Timely Writer, and the Massachusetts Handicap, on Soldier Boy.

"He was a good man and a good rider," said Dominic Imprescia, 86, who was the trainer for Timely Writer. "He had a good head, good patience, and he was tough."

Danjean's survivors include his wife and three children, two from a previous marriage.

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Wow, this is terrible. I just heard about this yesterday from a client of mine. I can't believe they were apparantly not wearing their harnesses. My condolences also go out to the surviving family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts