Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I want to use 12-point head, black oxide ARP bolts everywhere. But, the only 12-point black nuts ARP sells are fine thread, and of course the bolts are coarse only. I can live with regular hex nylocks, but I need them in black oxide, which I can't find. Anybody know a source? I could also live with grade 8's in a plain finish so I could blacken them myself (I have the stuff to do it). The only grade 8's I can find are zinc plated, which won't blacken with my kit.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a 12 point nut. I'm not sure they exist.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
I have seen them on rockers, so they definetly exist. Mcmaster doesnt have them? If not, get regular bolts and remove the plating. Does black oxide keep them from rusting?

·
Senior Charter Member
366 Posts
Joe,

You're on the wrong side of the country. We have a local "non-chain" hardware store here that carries most grade 5 and 8 hardware in zinc and black. Are you sure there isn't a "fastner specialty store" in your area? The 12 point nuts will be a problem, but getting grade 8 in black shouldn't be.

Allan

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Try calling around to a local private airport maintenance service hanger. Aircraft typically use 12pt nuts and bolts. Maybe they can point you to a supplier
Bob MacFFR3981

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
ARP sells 12 point fine thread black oxide bolts. True, you won't find a course thread 12 point nut, but you can get the fine thread bolts. ARP came out with a catalog suppliment in 2004 with a complete listing. If you can't find the suppliment at your local speed shop, e mail me with the sizes, and I'll give you the part numbers. John

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I'd try McMaster as suggested above.

·
Junior Charter Member
9 Posts
Joe,
I don't know about the 12 point nut, but you may want to try McKittrick Industrial Supply in Lowell. Best hareware selection I have found in the area for metric and standard. The entire basement is all nuts and bolts.
Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts