Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you that have installed the system can you tell me approximately how big the pump is. I'm in the process of putting in my dual oil filter with braided hoses. Those take up space. I would like to mock up the pump to know how much room I have left or need.

Thanks,
Perry

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Just measured. Mine is still in the box about to go onto my Mk4 build. The pump is approx 8-1/4 inches long x 4 inches in diameter. The mounting plate is 5-1/4 inches wide, and extends about 3 inches above the center of the pump.

I can take a couple pictures if that helps, but not until later today when back home.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think you need to do that. I can mock somethiing up. I'm assuming that the pump can be mounted with the hoses facing up, is that the case.

Thanks so much for the info!!

Perry

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Happy to help. Actually the hoses, using the supplied bracket, point down/out at a 45 degree angle from each side. Looks like you would have to modify the supplied bracket (and it's a big meaty piece) to have the hoses pointing up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
fast freddie's electric steering question

Hi guys,
I have a question regarding the pump (mine is a toyota version). There is a threaded hole in the centre back (where the wires are) of the pump and it doesn't make mention in the instructions as to what it is or what it is for. Any ideas?
Also, I modified the bracket to flip the pump over so the hoses mount to the top side. I did this do to the fact I'm also using a Breeze battery box. It's getting fairly full in that area but still doable.
Andy

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a question regarding the pump (mine is a toyota version). There is a threaded hole in the centre back (where the wires are) of the pump and it doesn't make mention in the instructions as to what it is or what it is for. Any ideas?
Also, I modified the bracket to flip the pump over so the hoses mount to the top side. I did this do to the fact I'm also using a Breeze battery box. It's getting fairly full in that area but still doable.
Andy
You're talking about the threaded hole in the rubber cover? Must be something from pump's original purpose. Not used in this application that I've seen.

Would be really interested to see pictures of how you mounted the pump, modified the bracket, etc. I'm trying to the same thing -- mount the pump along with the Breeze battery box. I've briefly mocked things up and seems both will fit. But haven't looked at hose routing yet. Another potential issue is the lower radiator hose. With the pump mounted off to the side will be right in the path of the normal routing for the lower hose. Would really like to see what you've come up with.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Forty percent of new cars sold today have electric brakes....according to Road&Track. Just a little tidbit for you.
Assume you mean power steering, not brakes. Electro-hydraulic power steering systems, like Freddie's in this thread, have been around a while and are pretty common. Pure electric power steering (EPS) is becoming more and more commonplace as well. Haven't seen numbers, but 40% of the market wouldn't be a surprise.

Electric assist is coming for brakes. But it will be a long time before it's 40% of the market. Some form of electric assist has been used on e-brakes for quite a while, and that too will be expanding in the future.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Edwardb,
I seem to have problems posting photos here. If you have a look at a post by "dallas" he has done a simalar mod and has posted a photo.
Essentially what I did was take a 3.5" hole saw and cut the bracket 1" deeper. That allowed me to flip the pump over and have the hose fittings facing up. I mounted the Breeze battery box on the p/s and the pump with about an inch or so clearance to it. The lower rad hose has lots of room to follow its natural route.
If you would like a photo pm your email and I can send it to you. By the way thanx for the info on the threaded hole.
Andy

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Edwardb,
I seem to have problems posting photos here. If you have a look at a post by "dallas" he has done a simalar mod and has posted a photo.
Essentially what I did was take a 3.5" hole saw and cut the bracket 1" deeper. That allowed me to flip the pump over and have the hose fittings facing up. I mounted the Breeze battery box on the p/s and the pump with about an inch or so clearance to it. The lower rad hose has lots of room to follow its natural route.
If you would like a photo pm your email and I can send it to you. By the way thanx for the info on the threaded hole.
Andy
Assume you mean this photo:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ric-power-steering-installed.html#post2579335

The only difference is that install is a Mk3 (square tube) and I'm installing on a Mk4 (round tube). I will be working on this more in the next few months. I've collected everyone's ideas and photos. Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Edwardb,
Yes that's the photo I was referring to. It's close to what I've done but my pump is slightly more towards the left. I to am building a MK4 with a mod motor (coyote) so maybe some of the directions for hoses and such may be different than a windsor.
Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.