Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the FAST Air Cleaner on my FAST EFI system on a 347 engine. It seems to fit ok, but the bolt under the magnetic FAST logo keeps coming loose! Happens almost every time I drive. I tighten it as much as I think I can because I don't want to strip it. Any ideas to keep it tight?

·
Senior Charter Member
859 Posts
Red locktite. I snapped one of those Allen bolts trying to make it tighter!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You might try a little Blue Loctite or nyloc nut.
Red locktite. I snapped one of those Allen bolts trying to make it tighter!
Probably go with just a little Blue Loctite. Can't use a nut, and Red might be too strong! I snapped off a bolt when I used Red. Don't want to do that again!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally used blue loctite with a lock washer and it stayed tight. However, it was a little cock-eyed, and there were some scratches on the top of the air cleaner. Kind of ugly. Finally measured everything. The air cleaner is 13"x13"x4", while the hood scoop is about 11+" wide at the air cleaner location. Enough height so the FAST air cleaner fits, but I guess when the engine rocks back and forth, the air cleaner hits the button head screws holding the hood scoop on. So, time to replace the air cleaner.

Looked at the oval air cleaner shown below and got it. 10" wide and 21" long and only 2-1/2" high, so more clearance. Fits good with the rear part of the air cleaner under the body by the windshield.

Was a little concerned about the small height of the filter element (see post#13 in When to order the engine/ trans), but I calculated pressure drop of both (FAST and new one)

and the new one is ok. With that said, I may get a taller air cleaner later - we'll see.

Just a warning to other FAST users on their air cleaner!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts