Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already mounted and wired my automatic thermostat fan controller that I bought from Breeze. My question to you guys is...has anyone converted to the painless product that has the thermostat in a 3/8" npt fitting that fits right into the bottom of Fortes degas tank? I was thinking of splicing off the probe and going this route. Any thouhgts?

Curtis

·
Charter Member
76 Posts
The De-Gas tank gets plenty warm. The issue you need to plan for is a good ground. The painless switch has one male spade connector. This switches to ground when the temperature is reached. This switch spade is connected to the fan relay control side.(-) In order to insure a good ground I connected a ground wire from the back side of the mounting flange screw to the 3/4" steel support for the "F" panel. I used #10 oval head screws with nylok nuts on the backside and stainless finish washers on the front side mounting flanges. The tank fits nicely in the slot where the normal radiator hose passes through the "F" panel.
Hope that helps.
Bob

·
Registered
922 Posts
Curtis,

Put the sensor in the "out" hose from the radiator, not the "in". That way the fans wont come on when you'e moving. I bought a length of 1 3/4 aluminum pipe and had a bung (Summit) and a ground tab welded on it, then put it in the lower radiator hose about 2 inches from the radiator. It works great.

Ron

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Curtis, when I saw the picture of your engine I didn't see the water outlet fitting. Usually the is a threaded boss on the casting you can screw the sensor into, or some times there is just a blank boss that you can drill and tap for a pipe thread. I drilled and tapped my water outlet housing for the fan and used the manifold fitting for the water temp pick up.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's the job of the thermostat to regulate engine temp. The fan/fan switch regulates radiator temp. If you wouldn't put the thermostat in the radiator, then don't put the fan switch in the engine. The fans don't need to go on every time the engine heats up, just when the radiator can't get enough air flow.

r

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob:

My question is for the fan thermostat for the radiator. the product from breeze includes a probe that is inserted into the fins of the radiator. After I saw a product fro Painless, I was thinking if instead of throwing away a $65 kit from Breeze that I might be able to just use the 3/8" npt fitting (without the relay and wiring) to substitute for the probe that I have.

For the temperature sensor for the gauges, I fitting is located on the driver's side on top of the intake manifold.

Curtis

·
Charter Member
76 Posts
Curtis,
If the picture Rob has posted is the same thermostatic control you have, then it appears to have a relay attached to the probe. From what I can see it looks like the relay has a main power in and out to the fan.(Red in to relay + and Blue out to the fan +) There appears to be 2 smaller guage wires for the relay control. One will be ignition hot (12v +) the other side of the control normally is what is switched to ground. (-)
(1)A parallel wire can be attached to the Painless thermostatic switch. When the Painless switch closes it will complete the control circuit. This appears to be what the probe is doing on the Breeze switch. The Breeze switch works exactly like the Painless switch. If you wire the Painless switch in parallel with the radiator fin probe control wire you should be able to reuse the relay. The fin probe switch and the Painless switch are then performing the same function. The one in control will be the one that reaches closing temperature first, and conversely the one that cools down last will be the one that opens the control circuit and turns off the fan power. It provides a two stage relay control to insure the fan runs when both the water temperature calls for cooling and the radiator fin temperature calls for cooling.
(2)Alternatively you can add a 30 amp relay (cheap) and wire the fan in parallel and reach the same result. Just use the circuit scheme described earlier. Radiator water inlet temperature controlled switching.
That really is the problem with these functions, there are many different ways to solve the same problem. Some are more elegant and some more straight forward and simple. Here are two solutions that will keep your fan and radiator cooling under about any circumstances.
Bob

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
I used the Breeze unit for the simple reasons that I can place the probe where I think it needs to be and it's adjustable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts