Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since posting my MK 3 for sale I've noticed others for sale with little or no interest by most members of the forum. I'm sure we all believe our individual cars/ builds are unique. I think we all know how much time, effort, and money are put into these cars. I also realize that we realistically cannot expect to recover the entire costs we spend. What I don't understand is why so many members appear to downgrade the value of these cars. By now I realize my perceived value of my car exceeds other's values, and will need to lower my "for sale" price. It would be really helpful if others chimed in about the under valuation of these cars. It should help all of us eventually. Thanks for letting me vent, Irwin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm no expert on FFR cars value or have any experience building one. The Shelby Cobra has been my dream car since I was old enough to have a dream car. ( 10-12 years old, 52 currently ) Realized early on that I'd never own a real one probably so have been looking, watching, and reading about the FF cars since their inception and living some what near by Whibty Motors in G-boro, NC I talked about buying one off and on for years, and I have watched the classifieds for years, here, there, and every where. As with most any used car price there are lots of factors, but at the end of the day maybe you don't want or need to sell your car as bad as some of the other people and or they live in an area that already has a couple for sale near by so they have to compete on price or risk it taking a good while to sell. With most any "kit" car you are not going to get your labor back out of it. So if you have $45,000 in parts and have had it finished for 5 years and it took you 4 years to build ( some of these parts are now 9 years old some parts it doesn't matter some parts it does ) you'll be lucky to get $35,000 out of it as with any used car...Ultra low miles isn't necessary a good thing as well. We as buyers wonder why. Everybody says their car has been great, trouble free, blast to drive, but then why only drive it 1000 miles a year... just my .02 as a perspective buyer...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I typed in a post here yesterday and got a message that it would have to be approved by a moderator first. I see the post wasn't approved I assume as it's not here nor have I received a PM message from a moderator as to why...

·
Registered
11 Posts
swift one

May have something to do with supply and demand. There is a good supply of cobras for sale on this site and other sites. Been thinking about selling mine, but not sure I want to lower price enough to attract buyers at this time. I'm 76 years young, crawl in and out, but oh what a ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trying this again. Apparently this thread is blocking people from posting in it as I can't believe with over 300 views no one has posted in it. Granted this is my second time trying myself so we'll see.

I don't have a FFR vehicle but have been lurking on this site for over 12 years thinking and dreaming of owning one. Luckliy I live in the next town to Whitby Motors and have been there a few times over the years to talk, tour, and dream as well. I have even talked to them about this very subject..

As with any used car price your region plays a part in it. How many are for sale within your somewhat local area. Some people may have used their car more and just willing to let it go cheaper thinking they got to play with it and it's time to move on. Others think they have 5 years of building it and 3 years of driving and want most every dollar back out of it...
Some are just in a hurry to sell it and or don't like lots of people coming to look at it so they put a good price on it to move it quicker..

As a potential used FFR buyer I'm thinking the car has $50,000 in parts but they claim it took 5 years to build has been finished for 3 years so some of these parts, gaskets, bushing etc are now 8 years old. Sure it seems new to you, your just happy to have it finished and enjoy it some. but you take any $50,000 car on the market ( you can't really charge for your labor ) and when it is 8 years old it's a $30,000 -$35,000 car and maybe less.

Something else I've noticed over the years is that most everyone one of these cars for sale, is the owner just brags about all the attention it gets, how much fun it is to drive, how reliable it is, but yet only drive it 1000 miles a year for 3 years and now selling it..Which means it sits alot... Why is that... As a potential buyer that doesn't sound good..
You've seen it with the Harley guys. Tons of bikes out there 5-8 years old with less then 5000 miles on them.. It's just as bad or worse for them to just sit then to be driven every week or so....

ok, that is my .02 cents which probably won't be posted but there it is....

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Trying to sell a car on a forum that caters to the building of the same type of car is like trying to sell bread to a bakery. IMHO this is the last place to advertise unless you are unloading quick and need it in front of people who walked the path and know the value......now stop loafing ! ..da bat

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm with Jeff.

Most people are on the forum because they want to build one themselves.
If they have done their research they know what it will cost to build one.
Hours as mentioned are a wash.
I would try other venue's of advertisement, some have put it on consignment at a higher end dealer. Can also go to car shows with a for sale sign on the car. (on TV they sell the car EVERY TIME they take it to a car show you know:grin2:).
That said if I ever wanted to sell mine I would probably post it here too, just in case.

John

·
Junior Charter Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory Five Roadster for sale.

Good afternoon everyone. Naturally I was surprised at the lack of activity on the sale of my roadster. In answer to a number of statements;
#1 I realize that the labor involved is usually not reimbursed. It was truely a labor of love to build my car.
#2 I have more than $50,000 in materials and fabrication, as do many others.
#3 I have started to advertise in other locations, one being Hemmings.
#4 What I didn't appreciate was being told how inexpensively my roadster could be built for by folks that don't know what they are talking about. Did I word that politely enough? I just don't like being insulted.
#5 And yes, I have lowered my sale price to $36,500.
Thanks for looking, Irwin.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
#4 What I didn't appreciate was being told how inexpensively my roadster could be built for by folks that don't know what they are talking about. Did I word that politely enough? I just don't like being insulted.
Irwin,

Unfortunately ignorance is bliss. People don’t see the amount of time, planning, skill and money it takes to get one of these on the road. Hope you get your price.
Good luck!

John

·
Registered
502 Posts
Irwin, sorry to hear you’re selling. I do understand your situation. Your car is beautiful. Hope to see you around the neighborhood soon. Might head over to cars and coffee one of these Sundays. Good luck with the sale

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
When I bought my roadster in 2000, I did so partly because I thought it would depreciate slower than a production car.

I also own a 2000 Jaguar XK8 Coupe. Let's compare.

Jaguar 2000-2018: $75K to $9K

FFR 2000-2018: $25K to $40+K

I did a lot to the FFR but it just paced inflation.

I sold most of my AMZN stock in 2000 to buy the FFR. That $25K would be worth $5M today.

Cars. Wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I check this page (and another) every single day. I'm definitely "in market", though I suppose a little fickle in exactly what I want. :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems someone could start a good business by buying used FFRs, disassembling them, and then selling them as "complete kits". I attended the Mott class, and this is exactly what they did to their car 4 times a month. No biggie - took 2 guys an afternoon. The just left the brake and fuel lines on.

It seems with FFR you spend an extra $10-20K for the privilege of buying some extra parts and putting it together yourself. I'd happily pay someone $2K for a clean teardown of a used FFR so I could do the erector set with my kid. Plus it would already be painted so I get even more instant gratification...

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
#3 I have started to advertise in other locations, one being Hemmings.
This is probably redundant, but Cobra Country is a good place to get a Cobra sold. Also, Curt's instructions on how to photograph a Cobra are very effective.

Good luck on the sale.

·
Junior Charter Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MK 3 roadster SOLD !

Sad to say, my MK 3 is on it's way to a new home on the west coast of Florida.
Irwin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts