Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to David Smith yesterday about some club business and while on the phone he was so excited about his business that I thought I would pass some of his comments on.

He said that they are making some small changes the new coupe/roadster (oxymoron car) in the quarter panels. They're going to reshape the rear end of the car that is coming to be known as the spyder. Based on customer feedback, they've decided that the car is a hit, but the read end needs to go back to the drawing board.

As you all know they are releasing a yet to be named mid-engine supercar with FFR's own styling cues. This car code-named GTM, it's a combination of vintage and modern mid engine supercars, but with a very distinct look of its own. He promises to release the drawings as soon as the body design has been approved.

FFR is making plans to release an FIA style 289 car. The kit should be available this summer. This should be a cool kit!

They plan to have the red car ready this summer, in two versions with a couple of engine options. The cars, code-named GTV8 and GTV12 will be powered by either a small block, or have the ability to use the XJS V-12 motor. Old Jag XJS' can be bought for under a couple of thousand dollars and then you get the sound of an old F-car! Also, based on this chassis, he's working on a vintage convertible based on a very famous Italian GT car that won the hearts of many, but Pontiac stole the name. I think the Beach Boys had a song about a Goat? Didn’t they?

FFR, Inc. is 100% on support of the new club that we will be organizing real soon. The plan is to launch our first national event in April at the Knott's show. More details to come! We're forming regions, with regional officers to be named. Anyone wishing to volunteer to assist in forming the national or regions should contact me.

Questions?

- Bill

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Sounds good....

What are they bringing to Knotts? Will they have a booth there?

FIA car....MrMustang will be very excited.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Great news
Finally I have a reason for saving that old Jag that is sitting behind my barn. Jag drive gears can be made quite dependable if you address the cooling issues and get rid of the surrounding car.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hey, Hey, Hey, CobraMD, don't try and hurt my old Group 44 V12 XJC, it's still a kick and take name vintage racer from the 70's.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
Bill,

Count Donny and I in for any kind of organizational help in this region!

Thanks for the updates.

·
10,171 Posts
All of this sounds great.... UNLESS you are one of the ones that has a boat load of back ordered parts.. and wonder why they can build 5 or 6 new cars and can't supply the parts for one correctly...(no, I don't have any backordered parts).. But I feel for the ones that do :(

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
They need to design the new kits to allow the use of the modular Ford engines. I think a Ford V10 would be pretty cool in that new GTM too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Grumpy
I'm not kickin Jags. They are the only thing that I've driven for a daily driver in years. My XJR is probably the most dependable car I've ever owned but the old ones may like a quick sprint at the track but bleed, ooze, and smoke out of every orifice when you drive them for more than an hour. That doesn't mean I love them any less just stating the facts.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
I wonder if they'll take back my 427 body and send out a 289 FIA? It will probably be summer before I even touch my body(yeah, I know it sounds bad). I'll just worry about the roll bar myself.... ;)

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: rlogan ]

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
GO BUY A VETTE IF YOU WANT AN LS1.

Put Fords in Fords period. One of these days I am going to get an old vette and put a 460 in it just to piss off all the Baby bow tie boys. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against GM. I drive a Suburban everyday.

Don't take it personally I am just sick of this "put a chevy in everything" mentality. Come on be adventurous, do something fun, don't follow the pack for once. If FFR makes the V12 available in the red machine, I may try it to be different but I will have to see what is involved.

Again I am not slamming anyone or any brand just the lack of guts it takes to be original. Cheers Richard

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Richard
Technically speaking if they put a Jag v12 in the car we will be putting a ford in a ford.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I am sorry Rich, but after Ford jumped in with CS, I wouldn't hesitate to put even an AMC pacer motor in mine, never mine an LS1!

·
Senior Charter Member
521 Posts
I think we need to look past FFR as a kit manufacturer that builds kits that require Ford power. The new vehicles like the mid engine sprcar and the GTM will open doors for all types of powerplants and drivelines. I think this is a disservice to FFR. Let's get out of the box!

I am planning to build the new supercar when available. I think it will be Viperpowered.

ANYONE GODDA PROBLEM WIT DAT????????????
:D :D

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikiec:
Sounds good....

What are they bringing to Knotts? Will they have a booth there?

FIA car....MrMustang will be very excited.

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they will be going to Knott's. I'm not usre if they plan on taking any cars, but David is planning to go.

·
10,171 Posts
Mr.Oben, you are very correct O moondoe :rolleyes: I have never been able to figure out this chevy in a ford stuff.. I hear everyone saying.. O you can build a chevy so much cheaper.. Well if you have to worry about a few hundred bucks.. you probally shouldn't start the build anyway :eek:

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlogan:
I wonder if they'll take back my 427 body and send out a 289 FIA? It will probably be summer before I even touch my body(yeah, I know it sounds bad). I'll just worry about the roll bar myself.... ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the kit will be different. David's getting someone to build one to see what changes need to be makde to the FIA-type kit, which by the way is code-named: CE - "Championship Edition".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts