Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a Roadster Complete Kit with the optional Wilwood brake option. I received the rear brakes a couple of days ago, and thought folks might want a little more information that what's available on the F5 site.

First, Wilwood describes the kit as a "Combination Parking Brake (CPB) caliper rear brake kit with 12.19" diameter vented rotor", part number 140-12363. As the name implies, there is a single caliper for each rear wheel, rather than a separate parking brake caliper. The assembly instructions (which include a list of the component part names & numbers) are here:

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds888.pdf

One thing that was weird to me was that rotors are electro-coated throughout; in other words, the part of the rotor against which the pads press is not bare metal.

IMG_0852 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0850 by jhsitton, on Flickr

I called Wilwood to ask about the coating, and tech support said the coating will be removed by the pad when I bed in the brakes.

Here are some additional pictures:

IMG_0856 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0855 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Link to pad specs: Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Brake Pad Part Number: 150-9184K

IMG_0853 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Link to rotor specs: Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Rotor No: 160-13336-BK

IMG_0847 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0846 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0843 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0839 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0837 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Link to caliper specs: Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Caliper Product Number: 120-10112-6-BK

Hopefully, you'll find this information useful.

Cheers,

John

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,600 Posts
2-3 hard stops and the coating will be gone on the friction area.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update: Check the orientation of your parking brake mechanism

When you receive your rear brakes, check the orientation of the parking brake mechanism. Mine were clocked such that the mechanism interfered with the fitting for the banjo bolt.

This is the wrong orientation. The allen head bolt under the return spring is at 4 o'clock.

IMG_2203 by jhsitton, on Flickr

As you can see below, it's impossible to fit the banjo bolt into place, and even if you could, the mechanism would hit the top of the bolt.

IMG_2197 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_2199 by jhsitton, on Flickr

To Wilwood's credit, they sent me a free return shipping label and re-oriented the parking brake mechanism to its correct location for free.

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is the correct orientation of the parking brake mechanism.

IMG_2266 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Unfortunately, the pistons on my re-worked calipers would not wind back in. I called Wilwood Tech Support, and they are going to replace them at no cost; they even sent me a pre-paid shipping label. Since Wilwood has a bunch of these calipers to rework, they don't have any on the shelf. Best estimate on delivery is in 3-4 weeks.

John

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
I was able to thread mine back in but had to push the piston in at the same time as turning.

Just turning it did not work.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good catch; I failed to mention I was pushing while turning. I pushed with every ounce my 160 pounds could muster and all the piston did was spin. My thumb is still sore!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts