Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 5 speed out of a '90 F150 work in my roadster?

My buddy's got a wreck he's parting out with a 5speed, my '87 donor had an AOD and that's no fun so I'm looking to make a low cost switch.

I'm sure the truck's a v8 but it may or may not be a 4x4.

Also, let me know if there are there any other parts off the truck that would benefit a roadster build.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Is that the trans that has the bell housing and trans body all one piece? My '89 is like that.
The 18" tall shifter might be a problem. I'd have to look at the rear crossmember location to see if it compares to the T5. Also the drive shaft might have to be customized using the front of the truck and the rear of a 'stang.
You might be able to use the wiring if you modify it yourself. Don't know if the pedalbox would work.

·
Junior Charter Member
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I probably wouldn't use that shifter and I hadn't thought about the driveshaft. I haven't actually seen the bell housing so I don't know if it's one peice or not, If it is one peice would it fit in my roadster?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think so, but I'd need to measure the overall length of the truck trans vs the T5 to know. If it's longer you'd have problems due to the already short drive shaft. At least it's a mid-shift design.
Anything's possible if you can do custom work regarding the rear support.
I really think you should look for a T5. Maybe ask an expert like Mike Forte if he has any info.
Get the ID tag info off the trans to be sure what it is (look here: http://www.drivetrain.com/tagtokitconvfordtrk.html ). Do some research, as these transmissions have some problems with oil level failures and hard shifting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts