Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the extra port on my water pump blocked off for the past 3 yrsa and yesterday the rubber cap I'm using sprung a leak. I don't like the idea of using such a weak cap.

What is everyone else using?

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ND:
We crushed the tube and pulled it out of the water pump. Replaced it with a freeze plug.
any pics of that?

·
Junior Charter Member
746 Posts
I pulled the plug out and tapped it and put a screw in plug.

Troy

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Why can't you just put a freeze plug in the tube without removing it?

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
like 7Tvette I pulled the tube out and tapped the hole (NPT) and inserted a plug.

picture added

[ April 25, 2007, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: P_Matt ]

·
Registered
867 Posts
I like the idea of tapping it. After 3000 miles I'm on my third rubber cap. :(

·
Master Blaster
170 Posts
can you run a hose from the extra plug on the water pump (return line) to the driver side rear of intake and use it to help reduce hot spots in the engine? just a thought!

·
Charter Member
213 Posts
I ended up leaving the tube in place and using a deep well freeze plug into the top of the tube. I used JB weld to help seal and keep the freeze plug in place. My plan is to use a rubber plug in addition just as a backup. I've haven't added the rubber plug yet and I've been go-karting around and haven't had a single leak yet.

- Colby

·
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Thanks guys!

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
What is the small hose for, I think its called the bypass? Can you remove both?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Whay size are you guys tapping it to, and how tough is it to pull out the tube?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Trev I'm thinking with both ports closed,when t stat is used. Engine would have no flow of coolant thru the block. Thinking hot spots,or at least a big strain on the water pump from dead heading by not having any place to relieve the pressure water pump builds. Might cause cavitation in the pump?
One port was used for heater core that can be eliminated. Second port,the one that ties into the t stat housing is a by pass to circulate some amount of water thru block when t stat is closed. Probally helps t stat open at the correct temp also,but not sure.
If not useing a t stat probally would be ok to block off.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Ed,
1/2 NPT. The tube just pulls right out.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Originally posted by trevor:
What is the small hose for, I think its called the bypass? Can you remove both?
Do not remove or block off the bypass port. It's needed to insure proper water circulation and to prevent hotspots during warm up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts