Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house is 14 years old however most of the time nobody was living in it. I had birds nesting in the fireplace and the bird guy said there was exposed wood inside the top of the chimney. What is the best way to fix this? Can a fireproof coating be sprayed on it? Need to be covered with cement?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,767 Posts
That doesn't sound good or right, as if the chimney wasn't built correctly from the get go. If it was me I'd get a good mason or chimney expert to look at it and give recommendations. I know there are multiple ways of fixing damaged/old chimneys with liners and fire proof grouting systems.

·
Charter Member
3,441 Posts
Maybe the builder was going to install a stainless insulated flu liner.

·
Charter Member
6,157 Posts
If it is a wood framed chimney box then the fireplace insert has to have a double walled (gas) or triple walled (wood burning) flue pipe from the firebox to the penetration through the top of the framed chimney box. The chimney does not have to masonry if the proper metal flue is used.

Reactions: Hoosier

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Only saw that once where they left in a piece of the wood form they used to set the cap cement. But as they said in above posts a liner is now code but the wood should be removed. We once had a fire in another old property where the heat of the firebox caused the old dry flooring joists underneath catch fire.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,690 Posts
If you're going to use a gas vented insert, then you probably don't need to worry about it too much. The gas inserts will have their own own flu pipes (intake and exhaust) that go all the way to the top. Just find a way to seal the wood or coat it so it doesn't rot.

But if it will be wood burning or an open gas log set...then you definitely should have it looked at by a pro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts