Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to make the decision on the bump-steer kit. I've a Mk-III, Flaming River (Mavic) manual rack, and Fox spindles and intend it to be a pleasure driver. Mk-III owners - what's your experience? Do I need the off-set rack bushings and bump-steer kit or not?

·
drmcat
596 Posts
Offset bushings are not needed on the Mk-III.

I've seen both yes and no opinions (with varying levels of conviction) on the need for a bump steer kit with the Mk-III, so I decided to skip it for now and measure how much bump steer is present with standard tie rod ends once the suspension is complete and I can get the alignment close.

mcat

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I bought an early mark 3 and didn't realize that had fixed the bump steer issue. As such, I bought the offset bushings and installed an Atsco manual rack. I also have fox spindles. Although I only have 700 miles or so on the car, I haven't noticed any bumpsteer problems. I haven't measured for bumpsteer, but it hasn't been an issue.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi mcat,
Depending on the spindle used bump steer is more or less of an issue. I've read here and spoken with more than 5 people that bump steer is alive and very well on MK III's also. I say measure for bump steer by removing the coil over and move the spindle up 2" from static height and down 2" from static height and make adjustments as neccessary.
Make sure your car doesn't suffer from bump steer, it can be very dangerous to say the least.
Mike Forte

1 - 4 of 4 Posts