Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Exocet Race Car

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tim-in-oakton 
#1 ·
Last year Michele and I decided to build another car for the track. The Cobra does great, and it's a hoot to drive. But we've been beating on it for a long time, and it's just not that reliable any more. Most week ends we get towed off the track for one reason or another. So, it was either strip the Cobra down to nothing and replace just about everything... or build a new car.

We decided to build another car and retire the Cobra to street duty. Out to pasture, so to speak. Or maybe out to stud.

Anyway, after a great deal of searching, we found the perfect car for us: The Exocet. It uses a Miata for a donor, so great brake and suspension packages are readily available. But we can also use a LS V8 and T56.

Exomotive Exocet | Exomotive – US Dealer of Exocars & Kit Cars

I ordered the kit back in December. But it got delayed for one reason or another. I picked it up from UPS on Monday. No big deal, I'v got so much work to do that it's kinda in my way right now.

The put the kit on a nice palate. Even equipped with some really nice casters. We had to remove the rear casters to fit it into the Serpent Express trailer. Once the car is a roller, I might have to modify the trailer a bit.

Getting it unloaded was pretty easy. I attached the strap to front of a friends pick up, and he pulled it out until it was dragging on the ground. Then I just pulled the trailer out from under the palate. Kind of red-neck, but worked real easy.

Once unattached from the palat, we simply picked it up and carried it into the garage. Not bad for two old guys. The weighs approximatly 200# or so.

Today I unwrapped all components to see what was there. More importantly, what's not there. There is no instruction book at all, and no inventory list. Also, No body panels. I know they're under revision, but no mention on the bill of laden where they are. I'll contact Flyin' Miata and see if they know anything.

Lots of work to do. I hope to get it ready for next racing season, in April. We'll see. It all depends on cash flow.

LS1 and T56 from a 2000 Firebird. It will get some small upgrades, but essentially stock.

See less See more
#5 ·
TTT!
I visited Exomotive in Atlanta this week, met Kevin their president (super cool guy) and have decided that this is my next build - we're going to do a Miata driveline Offroad model with 3" lift that can do rally, light dirt/camping and autocross. Something like what you see here --> Exomotive - US Manufacturer of Exocars & Kit Cars | Exocet Off-Road

There is a (much smaller than the FFCars circus) forum on FB that makes me really appreciate the wealth of accumulated build experience and advice here, but given that it is a much simpler build than my Roadster we're going to jump in and figure it out.

Bob, and advice or coaching for other Factory Five vets before we order?
thanks!
tim

#6 ·
Bob, and advice or coaching for other Factory Five vets before we order?
thanks!
tim
Know what you want to do ahead of time. Changing plans in the middle is always expensive and time consuming.

Be patient. Exomotive is a small but excellent company. They don't have the capacity that FFR has (Who does?).

The kit is really well designed. There is very little fabrication involved. It's so simple, that it's pretty easy to assemble.

This is a VERY small car. The cockpit is not as wide as a Miata. Since you were at the factory, did you get a chance to sit in one?

Don't be afraid to spend on money on things that really count. Like brakes. Order Wilwood brakes from Flyin' Miata. Yes, they're expensive, but worth every penny. I used the Little Big brake kit.

Use stock parts when you can. Stock Miata parts are very well made, and inexpensive. It doesn't cost much to buy used parts and then refurbish them.

Don't plan to build the car with used worn out parts, and then rebuild them later. Huge waste of time, IMO. Rebuild everything before you install it the first time. Why build a cool off road buggy with a 120,000 mile motor?

#8 ·
I did sit in it, and not being a big guy it was fine - needed a bit more leg room than it was set up for but there was room aplenty.

I need to get going on my new shop to have room for another project like this, that will give me time to find a suitable donor to work from -

thanks for the feedback!
tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.