Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FFR stainless exhaust pipes rattle like crazy. At least one of the casings is compromised and needs to be welded up as shown in the attached picture. These pipes have 14k miles.
What are your suggestions for fixing the problem? I wouldn't mind having these welded, but I'm afraid the rattles are also from loose baffles inside the pipe and that the cracks would immediately reappear. Suggestions? Don't mind if it's loud, just want to get rid of the rattles because that makes it sound like junk.

Liquid Drinkware Cloud Fluid Automotive tire

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,895 Posts
Looks like they ground so much of the weld away to make it smooth there wasn't enough metal left. I'd find a good SS tig welder and redo the welds and tell him you would be glad if he is able to bump up the thickness a bit. Then you try to fix the insides w/ SS screws installed from the bottom so they aren't visible. Kind of two techniques there.1- drill a small pilot hole and use a self drilling screw so it threads itself into the outer shell as well as the inside. 2- I prefer to drill a slightly larger hole so the screw slips through the outer shell and drills itself into the inside baffle. Then tighten it by hand so it pulls the baffle tight against the inside of the outer shell. You don't know exactly what it will hit inside so don't get carried away tightening it so it doesn't strip out. Use some type of locking washer and keep a couple of extra screws handy since it is hard to be sure they don't work loose. Hopefully you will hear the beginnings of a rattle before the screw falls out so you can tighten it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will check with F5.
I'd rather not add another maintence point with the screws. With my luck, a screw would fall out and stick right in a tire.
Would gas'n'pipes hold up better, or are they just as prone to rattles over time?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,852 Posts
With as big as that crack is it might be better to cut it apart at that seam and see if the insides can be repaired/welded while its open. Might even be able to stuff some new packing in at the same time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My FFR stainless exhaust pipes rattle like crazy. At least one of the casings is compromised and needs to be welded up as shown in the attached picture. These pipes have 14k miles.
What are your suggestions for fixing the problem? I wouldn't mind having these welded, but I'm afraid the rattles are also from loose baffles inside the pipe and that the cracks would immediately reappear. Suggestions? Don't mind if it's loud, just want to get rid of the rattles because that makes it sound like junk.

View attachment 365304

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this problem twice (both sides) and FFR has taken care of me by sending me replacement pipes free of charge.

The last pipes have not cracked yet so I will keep my fingers crossed. It seems to be a manufacturing flaw. What causes the cracks, in my opinion, is that the heat generated and subsequent cooling is expanding and contracting the inner baffle and the outer pipe is a sort of an accordion effect that weakens metal. After several driving cycles the metal eventually gives way and cracks.

I TIG welded the cracks but eventually the expanding and contracting made the whole pipe sway outward (bent).

I also cut the pipe along the circumference of the outer tube and made a contraption as you can see in the photo. That eventually failed because the only thing holding the pipe together was the internal baffle which also gave way.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts