Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running my newly rebuilt engine for less than 30 minutes I found many of the exhaust header bolts to be loose. I know I need to redo them with Loctite, but I don't know which. The Red says you can not get the bolts loose with special tools. That is a little scary. Should I just go with the Blue?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
No Locktite..use anti-seize with some type of mechanical lock. You need Stage 8 bolts, lockwashers or drilled heads for safety wire. If you use lockwashers, expect to tighten the bolts 3 or 4 times before they stop moving.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Lock tite would likely degrade with the heat header bolts see. All new header gasket installs should be retighten after the first few starts till the gaskets seats. Once seated and no longer require tightening when checked. Install the stage 8's or similar.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
587 Posts
I too had loose header bolts. Used Stage-8 bolts and never another problem. Also, I did looose one bolt. called stage-8 and they sent a new one out no charge. Great company to deal with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got my Stage-8 locking bolts from Breeze.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I guess I will be sending Mark Reynolds some more money! Not a problem if it is a fix.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I know alot of people seem to have problems with the header bolts. I got some plain ARP header bolts. Torqued to spec.... took a half hour drive. Re-torqued a second time. After 6 years they are still tight.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
save money and pain. Go down to Autozone. Mr Gasket has drilled header bolts with stainless wires and even a wrench to tighten them. You will need 2 sets for about $20 each
Steve

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I think MikeC might have some good advice. I've used the stage 8 bolts and they work well, but are a little pricey for 16 bolts and some aluminum clips. They are a bit of a hassle to remove and reinstall and you drop the clips a lot etc.

I used socket head bolts last time I installed my headers because I needed longer bolts. I torqued them after the motor was heat cycled and while it was still pretty hot ( wear gloves ). They haven't come loose yet, but I check them often.

Anti-sieze is a great idea especially with aluminum heads. If you gall the threads, you'll be pulling the head and buying a heli-coil kit soon.

I think checking them often is the best alternative to Stage8.

I would not use lok-tite period.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There is another option. Breslin bolts. They have a split bolt with an expanding set screw in the middle. They com in standard and stainless. Put them in and no more loose or missing bolts. You also do not need to fight with getting the Stage 8 clips in the right spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts