Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I seem to be the only asshole who complains about ridiculous exhaust droning at cruising speeds. I have a Forte/Blueprint 306 engine with the standard Gas N side pipes and collectors. The volume of my exhaust is definitely not the issue. I never feel like I need earplugs when I get on the exhaust, which I love, but as soon as I start cruising, the drone kicks in between 1800-2500ish rpms. I’ve considered the touring pipes from Georgie, but I’m afraid that will only reduce the volume and not the resonant exhaust frequencies that cause the droning.

Does anyone else have this issue? Has anyone found a fix for this? Is there something about my engine setup that could be causing this issue?

Other than this issue, I can’t say enough great things about his pipes. They are high quality, beautiful and I love the exhaust note.

· Registered
363 Posts
running a 410W with Gas-N pipes. Delightfully loud. No issues with droning just an occasional skip. You might need to take a video so we can get a better idea of what it sounds like.

· Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d love to, but the problem is the drone doesn’t really show up on video. It’s a resonance that you seem to only hear in person.

· Charter Member
1,135 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on this topic. But, as another point of reference... my son changed his intake (Ford production car) to a high flow system, and added a tuner to his system. He did get rather large gains in performance, but he also got a very noticeable drone during acceleration. It was coming from the intake. Perhaps knowing this will help you trace down the source. Are you able to reproduce the sound without the car moving? If so, this will help you track it down better. I'd hate to see you change the exhaust and it not change the drone situation.

· Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Robert. I don’t think it happens when revving stationary. I think it’s more under load that this happens. I’ll confirm that on a relatively warm day. I’ll try with and without my intake filter. Do you think it could be related to the type of carb I’m using or even camshaft I am using?

· Registered
133 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on this topic. But, as another point of reference... my son changed his intake (Ford production car) to a high flow system, and added a tuner to his system. He did get rather large gains in performance, but he also got a very noticeable drone during acceleration. It was coming from the intake. Perhaps knowing this will help you trace down the source. Are you able to reproduce the sound without the car moving? If so, this will help you track it down better. I'd hate to see you change the exhaust and it not change the drone situation.

Ahh the good ol' intake whistle. Mine did that! After after a year of being accused of having a supercharger I did some researching and found that you can modify the throttle body and eliminate the whistle. Basically .... you take a Dremel tool to the sharp edges inside the throttle body. During the process I was able to test for the whistle by using my air compressor to blow air through it until the whistle was eliminated. I don't get the feeling that this is what is being described above as a "drone" noise. The throttle body whistle sounds like a super charger whine and mostly just comes about during hard(er) acceleration and not when just cruising along.

· Charter Member
1,135 Posts
John, I think your right. My son's sound was an acceleration drone, but I know the whistle is very common. Good that you were able to deal with it. And now I notice he's running a carburetor. So, likely back to the exhaust. Is it possible the mounting of the side pipes is vibrating on the chassis? Perhaps even not enough clearance where the pipes exit the body? Just trying to "think out of the box".

· Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha see I’m the kind of tool who would keep that throttle body whistle because it “sounds cool” 🤣

Good call in the body vibration! I know the passenger side pipe vibrates on the body by the collector, but it sounds more like squeaking/chirping. I’ll try opening that up to see if it helps, though.

· Registered
133 Posts
Haha see I’m the kind of tool who would keep that throttle body whistle because it “sounds cool” 🤣

Good call in the body vibration! I know the passenger side pipe vibrates on the body by the collector, but it sounds more like squeaking/chirping. I’ll try opening that up to see if it helps, though.
Lol. I did for a while. After a year of it however…. I was tired of explaining I didn’t have a supercharger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts