Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I purchased the #13 hot rod from Rob, the 5 day build. My muffler has gotten so hot that it has burned through the carpet and even part of the seat. The original muffler was the FFR one and it was blown out, pretty loud so i put in a Delta 40, drove nice for 30 minutes andthen started seeing smoke from the carpet and the bottom of the seat was burned.
I then put on a glass pack, this solved the problem with heat, but was way too loud. Took it to Dick Wagners speed shop, all they did was make it worse, their solutions was putting on a more restrictive Dynomax turbo muffler, there is still some heat under the seat engine is now backfiring, oil temp and water temp too high.
I want to go back to the Delta 40, I was considering sending the muffler out for Swain white coating and then putting in custom thicker panels along with adhesive Thermo-Tec on the bottom side.
Just wanted to see if anyone has a solution.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I fabed up ss heat shields between the floor metal and the mufflers with a 3/8 space between the mufflers and the floor. then used Rattle trap fat mat on the topside of the floors and then carpet. The carpet gets luke warm, no hot spots.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Muffler heat

I didn't fab a heat shield but instead I sprayed Lizard Skin sound deadening on the outside floor panels and then added Lizard Skin ceramic heat coating on top of that. On the inside of the floor panel I added Cool It sound mat then the carpet. It gets warm on the carpet but has never gotten hot enough to burn anything. I still am using the original mufflers from the FFR kit.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Muffler Coating

I have called around and have not been able to get a straight answer on ceamic coating the muffler itself with either Jet Pro or the Swain poduct. It seems to be common to coat the headers, but not the muffler.

if you ceramic coat a muffler, will the heat come out the rear pipe or will it push back into the motor, the heat has to go somewhere, and if your covering the outside of the muffler with coating, where will this heat go?

Anyone coat their muffler to reduce the heat?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have called around and have not been able to get a straight answer on ceamic coating the muffler itself with either Jet Pro or the Swain poduct. It seems to be common to coat the headers, but not the muffler.

if you ceramic coat a muffler, will the heat come out the rear pipe or will it push back into the motor, the heat has to go somewhere, and if your covering the outside of the muffler with coating, where will this heat go?

Anyone coat their muffler to reduce the heat?
Have you thought about "wrapping" the muffler? Exhaust wrap will bring the heat way down. FWIW I'm not familiar with the 33 build and dont know if it would effect the visual look at all.

·
new
261 Posts
muffler heat shield

I built heat shields above the muffler. couple layer of high temp heat insulation mat. 1300 degree stuff. Used flat aluminum stock to rivet it to bottom of floor. I also used fat mat on inside of car on floor panels and finally a layer of jute style insulation under carpet. I have no heat issues under the seats. Drove car all summer in 90+ degree weather stuck in traffic several times where motor was approaching 210 on guage,

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,656 Posts
I used DEI products to keep the heat down. I wrapped the exhaust tubing with their wrap and I applied their adhesive backed heat foil to the underside of the floor. I don't have a heat issue with the floor.

I did also use some Magnaflow mufflers.

Olli

·
Erik Hansen- 33Machine
1,141 Posts
Sam,

While DEI is sweet, it's pricey and you can also get the no-brand name wrap on ebay and paint it with therm-tec cool-it 2000degree spray for a lot less. Try to keep the heat in the muffler and force it out the back with the wrap. This would be first and easiest, then the heat sheilds, then the lizard skin/dynamat is the last as you're really just trying to keep it out of the cabin and it's not really treating the issue. I thought Lang was working on this car? He would know this.

Erik

50ft roll BLACK Racing Fiberglass Exhaust Header Pipe Wrap Tape & Ties combo KIT | eBay

Thermo Tec 12005 Thermo-Tec Spray Adhesive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i just noticed on Olli's car that the muffler is sitting within the frame. on my car the muffler is the lowest point of hte car and its still gettign this hot, but maybe the delta 40's are bigger.
i also just called swain, they say the heat will go out the muffler if you coat it, but its about a month turn around.

By the way here is a link to what the car looks like.
How To Build A Bad ’33 Race Rod In Five Days | RodAuthority

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had my entire exhaust (including the mufflers) ceramic powder coated (Jet-Hot). The purpose of almost all header and exhaust wraps and coating is to keep the heat in the pipe and headed out the back instead of heating the engine bay and cabin. Your performance should not go down with a coated or wrapped muffler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.