1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
"I'm gonna hit a tree though. Man, that hurts" - You think ??!!

NSFW language (briefly, his restraint is amazing :eek: ) and adverts.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
JESUS!! I would have unloaded big time in my pants.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd really like to know what it was that went wrong. I'm sure an experienced paraglider, skydiver or hang-glider would recognized what went wrong.

Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
The thermals caused his main chute to blow over. He had to resort to his backup. If you look closely, you will see his brightly colored main chute below him when he exclaims he is going to the backup. This can happen in severe thermals.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
So what went wrong there, did he lose track of his altitude then he couldn't get away from the trees?

Who needs GPS, look for the guy with two broken legs at the bottom of a tree.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
The reserve chute is much smaller and doesn't give him the ability to steer. He is pretty much at the mercy of the wind direction. Only his main chute has directional controls.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought his chute appeared to deflate temporarily then catch again sending him into an uncontrolled spin. I suppose that's what you were talking about 2FAST. Man, that would be one heck of a ride, 9,000 feet to zero in no time flat.

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
He may have been at 9000 feet, but I don't think he was 9000 feet above ground level. Any idea what ground level was?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have any experience with paragliding, but do fly sailplanes... His audible vario went squealing high (STRONG thermal lift) and when you roll off the edge of something that strong you catch some STRONG sink - note the vario dropping in tone to nothing at the same time everything fell apart. Think strong vertical shear for example...

It's hell in a 15-meter sailplane, I can only imagine how it feels with a 'chute...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts