Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread for Rare Iron Eric. He is going to share his extensive testing about his cobrapack mufflers here. DB reduction/comparison and dyno results hopefully.
Eric is apparenly an exhaust mfg, so i am sure he will be able to share much experience and testing with us and will not be biased to other exhuast systems that compete with his own.
Please do share-i am not being sarcastic! I would really like to see hard core data. After 9 years of designing exhaust i am going to assume that you have some.
Current data you have submitted-a youtube video with dyno results typed in-convincing.
Here you go - the Cobrapack is proving itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0qoSzTJBBk

Also, if you are only going to reply to exhaust threads and try to steer people towards your own website and products, http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/contact.html
Then shouldn't you be a supporting vendor on this site?? DO you even own an FFR cobra??

[ March 27, 2007, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: cobrastang ]

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Here is a cobra pack muffler from classicchambered.com. The glasspack is a 26" body with a 2.5" core.I installed with his reducer #3530-ad. I will be testing the DB level compared to the FFR glasspack that is still on the passenger side.I will be cutting about 4" off the factory turn down.I need to finish installing my Vortech supercharger.I should be able to test next week.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the Dyno numbers and Db measurements are where??
My point still stands that if Rare iron eric is going to only post here concerning exhaust products that he should be a supporting vendor. Especially if he is constantly trying to sway people towards his products. At the least, he could post actual proven db level reduction and hp gains as he claims.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Did you start this thread just so you could bash the guy?

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
I will post DB numbers as soon as I can start the cobra.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
you want a technical report ? , ask him .I am not in the exhaust testing business .
If I pick up a couple of MPH at the track then I picked up some HP , they are not quiet , no louder than the stock FFR mufflers , a lower tone , a little quieter at cruise speed . If you think you can put a pair of 38 inch or so combination of mufflers/pipes on a 450 + HP big block, have it be quiet, and not lose HP , you can't . Its a compromise .
You might find someone with dyno results over at club cobra.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No i did not start this thread to bash the guy, but so that he might actually post some results since he is always posting in threads about exhaust. He bashed what i was trying so all i am asking for is some data. I dont think that is too much to ask, especially since he is trying to convince people to buy his products. I thought it was against the rules of the forum to join purely to promote your product without being a vendor.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is Erics post on my thread

Cobrastang, you're going through a lot to accomplish nothing with those inserts. Why don't you guys just stick with a larger flowpath & fiberglass packing mufflers to achieve more power? Being "different" isn't always better. Mufflers with steel deflectors & angle irons welded in aren't going to do crap.
On these "minimal" exhaust systems that Cobras have to run, the best you can do is compromise. If you want to make a Cobra really QUIET, you will have to kill the horsepower significantly - like on the verge of doing engine damage because of so much backpressure & restriction.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
He could have said it nicer but hes basically correct . Depending on your motors airflow adding objects in the flowpath is not the best thing for HP , and may or may not reduce sound. But its good to experiment and you might hit on a combo of things that work . An undercar exhaust would be best for noise reduction .

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went to club cobra and checked out the post by the guy that submitted the youtube video. According to his post he was using uniques exhuast and then replaced the entire exhuast system with custom made pipes using cobrapack mufflers. For anybody that has seen uniques sidepipes, it's no wonder the guy picked up so much horsepower. I dont doubt that the cobrapacks add some hp b/c of their larger diameter, but 30rwhp-come on. They look exactly the same as the ffr glasspacks internally, they just have a larger diameter and better transition. Add the longer pipes and they might reduce sound a bit.

·
Junior Charter Member
63 Posts
He only replaced the muffler on his Unique, the pipes were the same. Unique will let you pick the muffler you want when you build the car.
It is too bad that we have so few choices in styles of mufflers for our cars. I wish something like a borla or flowmaster were available too us. Eric is correct about flow and noise, it is all give and take with such a small muffler. The smaller the flow path the more packing you can use, or if you want a larger flowpath less packing and a louder muffler.
I have the Lobaks, and they seem to be a little quiter than most especially at cruising speed. I can have a nice conversation without any problem.
For longer cruises at highway speed I put in earplugs to get rid of the wind noise, which to me is louder than the exhaust.
On most motors a quieter exhaust is worth 30hp.

Justin

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He states that he had the pipes built to replace the unique versions.
"Finally got my new sidepipes built using Classic Chambered's Cobrapack"

"Previous exhaust was the stock system from Unique Motorcars"

"Custom built exhaust using Cobrabacks by Brian at Thunder Racing (nice job, Brian!)."

In addition, the recent data suggests that flow can be obstructed and not effect horsepower. The cats lost only made the engine in testing lose 1hp. HOwever, it did make it lose more torque.

[ March 28, 2007, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: cobrastang ]

·
Master "Gear Head"
434 Posts
BostonBuster, do you really want to agree with this statement of Eric's "If you want to make a Cobra really QUIET, you will have to kill the horsepower significantly - like on the verge of doing engine damage because of so much backpressure & restrictionst"?

We already have actual data on at least one motor (true, not a BB) that shows a 3 dB reduction (which is a 50% reduction in loudness) by using Lobaks or cats. Both cost HP yes but not a significant amount that would indicate a scenario where a restriction would cause engine damage. That statement is just plain silly. I don't think all those new Mustang GT500's are damaging their engines with those super restrictive cats. I personally want no part of that type of misleading BS on this forum, which I hope you agree, is not helpful info. There must be an American Idol forum somewhere for that kind of stuff ;) .

I'll leave the whole pedalling product without being a vendor thing to the moderators.

·
Junior Charter Member
63 Posts
Greg,

Comparing a modern OEM exhaust such as that found on the GT500 is not going to be accurate. These cars have very large mufflers tucked up under the car and and millions of dollars in research on their exhaust systems. They can also take advantage of X-Pipes and H-pipes to help with the pulse and flow that we can't use.
I really do wish there was a way to run a good looking muffler on our cars with better technology, but the size just makes this unpractical.
I think the work CobraStang is doing on the j-pipes and the inserts is interesting and will hopefully prove fruitfull for those wanting a quieter exhaust.
For those that want to know, a friend of mine purchased the 30 inch long 2.5in diameter cobrapack withe the glass packing. The car is much quieter than the stock pipes were, but I for one do not like the look of the 30 inch pipe, but they do work.

Justin

·
Master "Gear Head"
434 Posts
Justin,

While it is true that a modern exhaust is a product of large amounts of time and money by Ford, the basics exist. To that, all the money and time won't change the fact that the laws of physics apply the same in both scenarios. The Mustang GT500 and the cobra, regardless of an x or h pipe. The fact is that you can reduce the sound level without causing an unsafe back pressure that will damage an engine on a Cobra. To say anything like what was stated above is still silly. So my question to you then is, do you agree that effectively reducing sound on a Cobra must result in an unsafe backpressure scenario that will cause engine damage? That is what I am calling out as BS and I simply gave some examples of other cars that currently have similar components (say cats for example) to what we can put on our Cobras. If it is true that any device that reduces sound significantly on a Cobra (like a cat) causes damage, it must also be true on a Mustang. Since we know it is not true on a Mustang (albeit with an H or X pipe) it is not true on the Cobra. The blanket statement that was made is just misleading. Not to mention the real data we have that proves this false anyway.

We can't use x and h pipes? You better check this thread out (Exhaust Shootout Data). We certainly have people on the forum with x and h pipes on their side exhaust setups, so they aren't all that different from the current Mustang setups.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
Got V8
No I don't buy that statement , its extreem... but I think his point is the more you put in the pipes the more backpressure, but the car will be quieter ,but you will lose HP. You have more options with an undercar exhaust
He isn't getting rich selling his mufflers for $67 or so each , its a worthwhile low cost upgrade.
This whole thing hedges on the physics of a limmited area to reduce the noise . The motor is all about air in and air out , and the lower the pressure drop the more HP one can make , a compromise. If you have a mild small block not a big deal , if you spent money on a blown small block or a big block its an issue.
I applaud the work those that were involved did on the recent exhaust study . I for one think the cobrapack upgrade is a low cost improvement over the FFR mufflers , both in sound mostly tone but in HP also.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yet there still aren't any dyno results,actual not stated, to prove that the cobrapacks actually gain hp and there also arent any db measurements to prove that they reduce sound levels.
I just dont appreciate a biased opinion with no results to back it up. I guess the lack of proof on hp gains and sounds levels is why he has to peddle his products and spin things in exhaust threads on this forum when he isnt a vendor or ffr owner.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Using The Forum to Sell Products/Services

POLICY: We allow Supporting Vendors (paid advertisers) to inform members of their products and services. This means they can post new topics about a new product, special price, group purchase, or ask for ideas for new products. The Supporting Vendors may also answer posts to inform members about a product or service they have that is available. We do not allow non-paying vendors or persons to post about their products, services, group purchases, etc. Non-paying vendors are not allowed to host group purchases on our site. If a member posts a new topic about a group purchase from a non-paying vendor, the post will be deleted and the member will be warned.

We allow active members to use the Classifieds for free. This area is for our participating members to sell/buy related cars, parts, etc. If it looks like you are running a business on the classifieds, even a garage based business, you need to buy an ad or stop posting in the classifieds. If the majority of your posts are just selling parts or cars in the classifieds, you will be banned without warning. Once you are banned, you won't be allowed back for an extended period.

We don't allow people to post anything related to charity, raffles, asking for donations, etc. without the written permission of the administrators. If you post anything related to a raffle, charity, etc. you can be banned without notice.

COMMENT: To be fair to all businesses, we require an ad to be purchased before trying to do business on the site. It would not be fair to allow an individual or business the opportunity to sell products to our members for free, when we have vendors who are trying to make a living supporting this industry and is showing their support by purchasing a banner ad. Our ads are far below the Internet average. We charge less that a penny for every ten ads that appear, or $1.30 per 1,000 (CPM). The industry average is over $16 per CPM. So if a business is legitimate, it should be able to afford an ad.

Lately we have had a lot of people just selling parts on our site. These members don't participate in the forum discussions and add no valve to the site. They need to use eBay or pay for a banner ad on our site. Our prices are much cheaper than eBay and we don't charge for each sale or each listing. Don't abuse the free classifieds and ruin it for the participating members.

Just about every week, we get people asking us to allow them to post about their charity, raffle, events, etc. It's hard to say what charity is real and which is not, so we don't allow any of these types of posts. if you have a real charity that needs to be promoted, contact the administrators and ask for permission to promote your charity. In general, the answer will always be no. There will be exceptions when the request comes from a long-time member who contributes on a regular basis. But only if they can provide proof that the charity is real.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directing People to Other Web Sites

POLICY: Please do not try and direct people to commercial sites. This is commonly called "SPAM". If you do this, you will be banned from the site without warning and won't be allowed back. If you own a competing site or think it might be viewed as a competing site, do not post a link to your site or post a link in your signature without asking for permission. If you do this without our permission, you will be banned from our site without warning.

COMMENT: We hate spammers and will do all we can to delete your post and track you down. Please respect our site and stay away. If you have a competing site, an Internet business, or an automotive related site we should not have to explain this rule any further.
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.