Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was not a big event; it was Cisco's little club where people could bring 'whatever' and they sure did. In attendence:

Ford 427-4v Fire Truck outfitted by FMC. The owner bought one for his neighborhood! won "Best Truck"... I think it should have.

Lamborghini Gallardo (only in the owners posession for 3 days.) Won "Peoples Choce Award"
Lexus 430 "Rod Millen" signature edition. Won "Judges Choice Award"
Delorean
Silver Viper
(2) 69 Firebird convertibles
Malibu ss
GTX (original 440-6pack! AND Grabber hood (electronically acutated!)
27' Ford flathead roadster
67' Mustang in clean condition with original owner; kept the price tags: $3300. :cry:
Original Cooper
BMW 2002Tii immaculately restored
Ferrari 308GTB
300ZX Twin Turbo, only 30,000 miles!!!
Several Choppers (one that won "Best Bike Award" had all of it's parts bought off EBay reportedly.
TR6
VW BUS
64' Vette
A super clean 60's Volvo
Mercedes S600 V12 bi-turbo
07' Mustang GT
07' Mustang GT500
FFR4883 - me!

People did flock to the Gallardo like flys on.... well, you know. The gals all wanted pictures taken with that car. The Rod Millen Lexus was worth looking at but in both cases, a lot of money dumped in.

I guess it didn't help that I had a cracked windshield, but more importantly, after talking to a lot of co-workers, I should have posted the progress picures I have in my office. I don't think many thought much of the Cobra because they didn't realize it was entirely built by me. Having never done a show before, all I knew to do was clean up the car.

So next year, I'm going to try and make a little side displays showing the work maybe the build manual and a few other things.

They did snatch up a lot of the "free" DVD's from FFR (the sent me 2 dozen and I have about 6 left.)

I had the feeling if the Gallardo was a few days late, I might of taken the award. No biggie. I didn't build it as a show car so I didn't know what to expect. I do think a few of the cars deserved it (I voted for the Malibu personally.)

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
What class did they put you in? What was your competition?

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no class. it was a charity event for March of Dimes. It's essentially a free for all. Just 4 awards: Peoples Choice, Judges Choice, Best Truck and Best Bike.

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
people will generally gravitate to the rare exotic cars, and cobra replicas are no longer rare.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
That's okay - all the other entrants were cheaters - real men build their own cars ;)

Originally posted by chuck:
people will generally gravitate to the rare exotic cars, and cobra replicas are no longer rare.
I see 21342342343*e^23432423 more "rare exotic cars" than I do cobra replicas :confused:

·
221 Posts
If I recall correctly in proper scientific notation it should be:

2.1342342343*e^23432423000000000

That is a lot of cars! :eek:

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
I have a cobra also, it does not garner the attention it once did and that is ok, I have it for me, not anyone else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I recall correctly in proper scientific notation it should be:

2.1342342343*e^23432423000000000
Actually, the number he posted was legit. If he had written 21342342343E23432423 without the muliplication sign, then you'd be correct, but "e" is actually a constant that you can multiply by. Check your calculator, it is probably a secondary function of one of the keys.

·
6,559 Posts
Don't sweat it. Your car is gorgeous. Drive it.

It looks like you had a pretty serious car crowd there and most of the cars seem to be pristine restorations to original condition. Most in that crowd will look to see how original looking your car is with respect to the real thing. It's not just the work you have into it but about how much effort was put into making it look like it did in 65. High back seats, dual roll bars and 17" wheels would be a turn-off to this crowd. Keep entering shows and you WILL WIN.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
A good friend of mine bought a yellow Gallardo. We have been playing around in the car for a few weeks now. The car definately gets a lot of attention. I think my cobra turns more heads - might be just the ground shaking exhaust note;)
Of course, we did some roll ons and I walked him in 2nd and 3rd pretty easy. My buddy STILL knows who is KING!!!

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
IMO, anyone can buy a car! these are the ultimate excitement.
chas

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Don't sweat it, car shows can be like a "Battle of the Bands". You can never be too sure what the audience, or judges are into.

Here I go, hi-jacking, Sorry.

We had a show years ago where an out of towner (not that there's anything wrong with that, UNTIL) he had his friends stuff the ballet box, and he took best of show in a ratty '78 Grand Prix, with stock two-tone green paint, running boards, dingle balls, and a metallic mural (can you say J.C. Whitney) in the back window.

With beautifully restored steel bodied Fords, tri-five Chevys, Muscle cars, Vettes, Mustangs, etc... it was a big let-down at the end of the day.

The kid grabbed his trophy, then he and his ten or twelve buddies fled the scene. We all stood around for about ten minutes with our jaws dropped asking, "What the Hell just happened?"

The show organizers dropped the public voting, and had "participants only" vote from the next year on.

So buck-up dude, at least the winners their had some pretty nice cars.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
I don't think the generally public could care less about a home built car. Although I've loved cars since I was 3yrs old (some of my earliest pic are of me in my all tin Thunderbird pedal car) and had originally planned on building my car, it wasn't something that I necessarily wanted to do. I was just going to build it cause I knew exactly what my dream looked like. Just so happened that I found my dream for sale here on the forum.

I think it's great that someone had the space and time to build a car, but that doesn't get a rise out of everyone.

People like looking at nice looking cars and judging from your list there were some VERY nice cars there. I could easily see the Cobra getting lost in the sauce.

I think you have the right attitude about the whole thing. You realize that you too have a nice looking car but there was some "real" (no pun intended) competition there. But beyond that it's all just about the experience.

I think the general public would gravitate to a nice Lambo or other exotic before they stand around and listen to how a roadster was built. People just may not find that interesting. People seem to like looking at expensive cars they've only seen on tv or fantasized about. Seems like there were many of them there.

So do like I do, keep going to the shows and have fun. Despite all the urging from folks, I don't even register when I go. I'm not about to pay $15-$20 for the judges to hurt my feelings. I go to look at the other cars and let kids take pictures and answer questions from the kids.

So keep enjoying your car and have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
You have a nice looking car but I agree
100% with ToddButtrick,dump the high backs put 15's on and lose the p/s roll bar and you would of won the top awards easily no question.
Having a home made car is no appeal to a lot of people,they want to see the cars from their childhood or from movies or T.V.,cars out of their reach.
If you are happy with the looks that is the important part.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
The funny thing is...unfortunately, the general public probably looks down on the whole "home built" hobby because they're not aware of the time and care that went into the build.

It's kind like if you went to visit someone and they had an airplane in the drive way and said, "I built this, wanna go for a ride". I'd wager that most people would probably not take that ride. I think that unfortunately the general public looks at the home built car thing the same way.

·
Charter Member
1,891 Posts
Don't feel badly. You know you have a great car.

I'm building right now and love the Cobra but I almost drove off of the road last week when I saw this in a driveway by my house.

You lost to a great car and you spent a whole lot less!

Garrick.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Be careful going on about who builds cars and who doesn't. I don't really consider what we do here to be anything approaching someone that takes a 50-80 yr old piece of steel and chops, patches, welds and hammers it till it looks like it's new. Compared to that we put together 1:1 Revell models. ;)

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Originally posted by Mike D:
...Compared to that we put together 1:1 Revell models.
I also went to a car show last weekend. It was a huge, 2 day affair with >1200 cars. I have not started body work on my FFR. One lady pointed at the seams and asked if "that's were you glued it togather?"

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am doing mine for the build. I understand that folks may not like my homebuilt car and that is fine. I dont think much of expensive exotics myself. That is why we live in a country that gives us the freedom to choose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts