Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm in the beginning stage at looking into the MK3 Roadster. One of the main concerns is legroom. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'5". We will both be driving. What can look forward to if I install a seat track? Or what modifications can I do to add extra legroom?

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
You'll fit no problem. The seat tracks really help. There's about as much difference in height between you and your wife as there is between me and my wife (6'1" and 5'4"), and the seat tracks will accomodate us both.

To gain legroom, some folks build a mount for the seat that angles the seat back just a little bit. There's plenty of guys on this forum that are 6'3", and up to 6'6" that have MkIIIs.

Welcome to the club!

-Greg

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm 6'0" and my solution was to use a Kirkey race seat with almost no padding and no seat track. This allows me to sit about 3" back and down. My head is not up in the wind and I could cut the rollbar 1.5" which I think looks a bit better.

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Richard,

Welcome! I just went through this during my build. My knees were hitting the dash and steering wheel. I'm only 6'1" and 33" inseam. I changed to kirkey race seat(moves you about 2-3" down, 2-3" back, adjusted the pedals towards the front, and now the seat can go too far back. Also moved the steering shaft up 3/4" and got a smaller diameter steering wheel. I will use the sliders for my wife to drive. Eric

The seat makes a huge difference. I went with the high back version of the Vintage Race model shown in the post below called the Pro street Drag. They are more difficult to get into due to the side support. This a recent post with good photo comparison...
http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/083801.html#000000

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Same dimensions for us here. I used the stock seats but raised the steering column about 1" and I'm fine.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
I'm 6' and used the BREEZE mount with Street Performers. No Mustang seat tracks, and the Breeze mounts have holes to adjust the position. Fit is perfect, I don't hit anything.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
i am 6'-0" and i just figured out yesterday that i would like to mount my seat 2" forward. so there you go.

i found myself sliding down in the roadster seat. but when i actually sat totally upright, i didn't slide down.

but then, it was a LITTLE harder to reach the pedals, which explains why i was (subconscoiously) slouching down in the seat a little. should be okay for a 5'-5" if the standard seat was 2" forward.

i kind of explained this backwards, but i hope you understand.

i bet the seat sliders would be awesome. if that raises the seat, you will need a tight cap when you drive, because the wind coming off the visors become the new issue.

oh, at 6'-2", visors are a MUST to keep the wind down.

p/m frank messiana, he is the tallest guy i have ever seen to drive a cobra. very helpful guy, i am sure he would be happy to give you advice.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
by the way, if your wife is driving, the passenger footbox will concern you. the left side has a little triangle that forces your feet to go to the right. bumping out this section will greatly improve your comfort. i will try to find a pic.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
DELETED:

(oops quadruple post, what am i doing wrong??)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts