Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might remember, I had lost a piston in my 302 rebuilt ranger engine. My question is ( I have never rebuilt my own engine) should I have a shop rebuild my engine or should I get another rebuilt? My resources are tight ( I would love to get a new one but for the $$$$.). The car will NOT be raced of even tester to see how fast. any suggestion would be appreciated. I was looking for 335x35x17 kumbo tires and was having a tough time finding them. Got a lead on a place called ( thread depot.).
thanks vinnie

· Junior Charter Member
2,472 Posts
I picked up a complete pan to intake 347 on Craig's List for $3500. You might look there. I see short blocks on there quite a bit if that is all you need.

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
motors

I have a good 302 I pulled from a '88 van with 80,000 miles on it. I'll take $400 for it.
I also have a short block '89 302 I pulled from my Cobra when I installed a 347. I'll take $400 for it.
I have a great 400 hp 351W I pulled out of Mike's Cobra last fall that he wants to sell for $1300.
Email me if you would like pictures and details at [email protected].

I have about twenty motors / blocks, 302, 351W, 352, 390, and one 428 stored in the back room of my shop.

Yea, I'm a pack rat.

Oh yea, I would sell the 306 out of my GT 40 as a short block. It has 320 miles on it. I want to build a 347 to go in it. But I'll keep the Eight Stack system for the new motor, so you would need and intake, heads, etc.

Dwight

· Registered
804 Posts
Paid $1,600 to have my 302 rebuilt with .30 over fordged pistons and they reconditioned the heads as well. basically a total rebuild but it was my engine that was returned. Reasonable if you are on a budget.

· section 8
5,135 Posts
If funds are tight go used!! Any 5.0 Ford will work , later ones (most from 87+) are roller cam, .(if you care) ho engines had forged pistons (if thats a concern). can usually be had at a reasonable rate. Ford put them together well and used good parts .Most reman are just the opposite , cheap parts and cheap labor. I am a great beliver in used engines if I can here it run 1st. Personally if it were mine I would have that cylinder fixed if possible.or yes you can put your own together, if you can read the instructions it's pretty easy and FUN.To get oe quality or better rebuild parts you can easily exceed the cost of a used engine ie pistons 250 gasket set 200 head bolts50-60 etc .Bob

· Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I did mine started with a 92 T bird block $200, tanked $200 +/-, used 90 Rotating assembly free and bought a rering kit and bearings $150. If you take your time a double check each step its not that bad. I have 4k on the motor including 15 1/4 mile runs 40 or so AutoX and I beat the snot out of it most times I go out. Love big Industrial complex lots on Sunday's :evil:

It was a great learning experience and based on my driving habits will probably be doing it again. Depending on damage thats when a stroker should be in the plan.

Alternatively DWIGHT's offers look pretty good if you can do some sort of local pick up.

· Registered
739 Posts
I will second what Bob Taylor said about a used ford engine working great. Ford did the job right, and used the right components to make it work. I ran an 80k mile t-bird 2.3T engine in my 88 mustang for several seasons. I gave it 20+psi, up to a 75 shot, raced it hard and often, and it never really missed a beat.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Old crow: IMHO I would not recommend building your own motor. I did it with a 355 in my old Corvette and it spun a bearing in less then 300 miles, guys that do this every day have the tools and expertise to do it correctly. I second the recommendation on sourcing a running well maintaintaned replacement motor and then if it fails take it to a speed shop to have it redone. The 355 I refered to earlier came back fine and spins to 6500 RPM with no problems.
As to the tires you are talking about Tire rack has Kuhmo XS in your size 335x35x17, the mag I have says $236 each but it's an older one.
HTH
CB

· Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Vinnie,
I could have Jesse rebuild a 302 with stock parts or even an aluminum head engine. If you want to do a road trip, you could assemble your own engine here with Jesse's supervision. Maybe a bit more than you want to spend but it would be an experience of a life time. A 302 engine complete top to bottom will fit in a minivan with ease.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Old crow: Even if it takes a bit of time to come up with the $$ I would take Mike up on his offer. When you source a used motor there is always some risk involved. If you want to build you own motor this is the way to do it. I've seen this type of option before, if you want a new Corvette they will let you help build your own motor.
Neat Idea here!!!
CB

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First I want to thank everyone for the information. Mike it was good heating from you, how does your sister like the book? I am leaning toward ( with all the input everybody gave me) getting a rebuilt ,w/ the stuff I put on the one I have, from a reputable dealer and have them run it. I have to wait to do so as my CC bill is taking my $$$ for a few months.
I am going to use this time to finish the car, and take it to the nines ,and put as many of the finishing touches as I can for my ability.
Vinnie

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
A few years ago when I spun a bearing in my 351 I took it apart and took the crank and rod to a machine shop. I found that machine shops ( I am sure Mike can as well) have no problem buying onesies. IE: I had looked for a rod on the web and found a lot of upgrade kits w/ 8 rods. The machine shop had no problem sourcing a single duplicate rod for me which saved me a bunch of $. The key was that he could tell from casting logos etc what the rod was which i didn't know. Then he could match it w/ a reconditioned rod. He was also able to figure out what head gaskets had been used by the original builder and order me one head gasket. I had the crank ground, a replacement rod w/ my piston swapped to it,gaskets and bearings for a little under $400. If you have a local shop you trust, go talk to them and see what they can do for you. It's apparantly quite common to do the minimum needed to get an engine back running. Good luck!

· Registered
83 Posts
To rebuild or not to rebuild that is the question..

Go for it!!! I'm 28 and until two years ago never did anything to a car except wash and drive it. I bought a 2007 Harley tore it down pulled the the engine and transmission apart stroked the motor 110 cu in and rebuilt the trany..fired right up all I did was follow the manual.. I rebuilt the 302 in my Bronco this summer and same thing..no problems. My dad has every machine and tool known to man and has built many motors over the years and he was quite surprised when they both fired right up...Time and patience is the key..Good Luck Sean K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.