Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need your help on what to do. My car will be used for the street. I love the look of aluminum heads but do i realy need them? I know for sure i am going with a differnt Intake and manifold { EFI } But don't know which one. What is everone else using. What is the best and which cam should i use. I was thinkinga {E303 } OR {B303}.
I forgot to mention I am on a budget. Is the best way to do it is save up and use aluminum heads. What is your opinion? Also does aluminum heads make a big difference, and the ones of you not using aluminum heads, Are you satisfied?

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Typically the good performing aftermarket heads will be aluminum. The exceptions will be the iron Explorer GT40 heads, and some of the iron heads from Dart, which I don't even know are available anymore. Keep in mind that while iron heads are usually less money, the aluminum heads will pull more heat out of the cylinders which helps prevent pinging, and the cost difference usually isn't that extreme. IMHO, aluminum heads are worth the small price increase over iron.

Before you select a camshaft, you might want to talk to the head manufacturer that you pick out and ask them for their recommendation once you have given them the vehicle specifics, such as weight, engine size, rear end ratio, how the car will be used, etc. You can also do the same with camshaft manufacturers, as they have a lot of experience in selecting cams for different combos. Good luck!

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
I used:

Edelbrock performer heads
B303 cam
Cobra Intake & Plenum
BBK 65MM Throttle Body

I love the results (about 3K for the engine build)

·
Senior Charter Member
646 Posts
Punky,
I would recommend that you speak to one of the forum advertisers about this as everyone will have their $0.02 for you.

It sounds like a stock type rebuild with a mild cam would suit you the best.

As far as the look of aluminum heads, you could sand the ends of your stock iron heads and then paint them aluminum color for a whole let less than what the real thing costs.

Are you doing a donor build? Was your engine in running condition?

-Matt

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was on a budget too, so I decided to port the stock heads and intake myself. Combined with a Crane cam and Ford Racing shorty headers, I got a significant power bump. The porting was an enjoyable project. Of course, high quality CNC machined heads will perform better, but if you like the DIY approach, you can get some real HP gains for a just few bucks and then save up for new heads down the road. If you're interested in pursuing this approach, PM me and I'll show you where to get detailed instructions on how to do the porting.

- Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes iam doing a donor. The engine run good and sound good, the engine has 53000 miles. I just dont wont to put it in the car, and not be happy with the power.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
A number of engine builders will tell you that an Iron head that is identical to an aluminum one (same size valves and cc of head) will make more horsepower since they retain the heat. I'm not sure it's enough to offset the weight. Another advantage of Iron heads is less problems with head gasket leaks which are often created by the expansion differences between aluminum and iron as the head and block heat up then cool down. If you can find a good set of used or rebuilt Iron heads at a resonable price I would start out with those.
Good luck:
Have fun:
CB

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Remember the Spec series racers use stock (225 HP?) engines, and those cars seem to be a hoot to drive. With a stock mustang 5.0 minus about 1000Lbs you'll have fun. On a budget, I'd a get headers, intake, port the stock heads, and maybe even a bigger MAF. The engine with breath a lot better, leading to more TQ/HP. Add a rear end with 3.55 gears and you'll have the funnest car in town.

Save your money for all the other modification the morum member will talk you into... :D :D like FFMetal grand slam.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,017 Posts
HOw fast do you want to go? the spec racer guys use a STOCK 225 hp motor and they go plenty fast.
If you are looking for "bling" when you open the hood then get your wallet out. If you are on a tight budget try the stocker first. I think you will be surprised. There are some very cheap add ons that can pick up the hp and some of the tricks the spec racer guys are doing.
It doesnt have to cost a gazillion dollars to put a smile on your face.
Happy motoring
dave

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, if i use my stock heads, and say i use the TYPHOON INTAKE @ MANIFOLD KIT what cam should i use???

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
You need to get a ride in a car with a stock engine and see if you are happy with that level of acceleration. Until you have done that, you have no way of knowing what you want.

Aluminum heads have much better ports and will increase the HP by 50 to 100 over factory iron heads depending on the brand you choose.

AFR and TFS are the best, Dart and Edelbrock are good, and if money is tight, you can sometimes find used aluminum GT40's that someone is selling because they are moving up to AFRs, etc.

Make sure you get heads with intake valves no larger than 1.94". Bigger won't fit the valve pockets on the stock pistons.

The Ford alphabet cams are not very good. The best cam depends on a lot of factors that you haven't listed. First decide if you will use aluminum heads, that will make a big difference in the cam. Then what the maximum RPMs are that you will turn the engine. And last, do you want good day to day drivability?

Kevin

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Need or want .I went through that . I dont know if I'd take a 53000 mile engine apart! If you have the bucks and can find some low mileage gt40 or gt40p heads and an Explorer intake . if you don't, grind on the stockers if your handy with a die grinder remove the egr bump in the exhaust port ,gasket match springs to match the cam . A cam wont help much at all if you dont change/port the heads and intake . I like the Ford x cam everyone thinks I'm crazy but it makes power, and it fits without any cutting! A set of rear gears ,underdive pulleys, maybe some 1.7 rockers . Just that made a major difference in my 87 GT. Once you open the motor up the budget goes out the window. Remember 1000lbs = 1sec1/4 mile reduction. Think 13flat a little better if you can shift good. Bob

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
here is a cheap 320hp, my old motor.

302, GT40P iron heads (explorer), X cam, RPM performer dual plane intake, ford racing 1.6 al. roller rockers, 650 mighty demon, 4 into 4's. Great powerband, plenty of power for the money.
Now my new motor....that's a whole different ballgame!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,713 Posts
Have you seen these heads from Thumper?Very good for the $.OTOH, my MkI was a bone stock 302 efi w/ 3.55 rear gears and it was a ton of fun. Definately buy those gears and put your engine in the car.You can upgrade it later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts