Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After firing up the motor a dozen or more times all I get is a hard thunk and the engine won't turn over. The battery is charged and I replaced the starter and the same thing happens. Tried to turn the engine using a breaker bar and it is very hard when one of the cylinders is in compression. I have turned the engine over by hand 360 degrees so I doubt it is seized.

This happened before and I thought it was the starter, but this same problem has reappeared. I have by-passed the solenoid to hit the starter directly and it made the same noise.

I have 3 grounds to the engine and one of the them is directly connected to the starter.

I have very little time to finish it, let alone go backwards. this might force me to sell the thing.

MASS-FLO ON TOP OF A 410 CUBE windsor. ford mini starter and All electricals worked up until now.

ANY IDEAS would be greatly appreciated. - Jim

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Is the battery new? Have you tried to jump start with another vehicle? Are you running a battery cutoff switch? if so bypass it.
Could the distributor have move and now you are too advanced?

Michael S.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Tried to turn the engine using a breaker bar and it is very hard when one of the cylinders is in compression.
Is this a problem all the time, or just when one specific cylinder is in compression? Maybe pull the plugs and make sure you didn't have a head gasket problem and a cylinder didn't fill up with water.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery has been sitting around, but managed to fire the thing up a couple of time. I will put it on the charger tomorrow and see what happens.

When it did fire up I rna the eninge for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. I would let her get hot so i could burp the motor. I've done this about 10 times over te last few months. It's been 4 weeks since I've been home so maybe the battery is just dead.

The timing is set to specification for mass-flo. I believe that is 10 degrees at idle with the watchma call it on the distributor unplugged.

the fuel pump runs and the computer comes on. The garage smells like fuel at the moment.

Gonna give the battery a good charge and we'll see. I've had battery issues in all my cars this winter. This might be another victim. It's 'bout to be a victim of my temper.

Thanks - jim

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Have you been putting the battery thru lots of charge cycles? If so, it's probably toast. The plates are sulfated.

Regular car batteries are not designed to withstand being discharged and recharged like your "deep cycle" trolling motor battery.

It can take a charge, show a full 12v, and still be toast. It needs "load tested" to know for sure and I think that's what you're doing with your starter motor!

Sorry, but that's much better than a hydraulic-locked engine.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery is now fully charged. Engine turns over by hand. All I get is that same ol thunk thunk thunk, but no spin. Gonna drop the relay and try another one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nuts. tried to by-pass the relay and same noide. Load testing the battery is next.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
When a battery dies it can appear to be fully charged, but it just surface voltage and there is no capacity left to crank. Just experienced this myself with the daily driver on Friday the 13th.....

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals while someone trys to start the car. Need to see a minumum voltage of 10-10.5 volts. Guessing you will see less inticating bad battery. As long as starter engages the solenoid is doing it's job and not likely to be bad. Voltage readings at the battery and starter will help tell where problem is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts