Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not in go-kart yet, but engine runs good. (first start 9/29)
I came home from work last night and wanted to start up my car to see if I was able to get rid of the belt squeal and to finish burping the coolant system (besides, i just can't get enough of turning the key, hitting the start button, and hearing it rumble! (starts better than my daily driver Camaro! LOVE the sound! :001_tongue:)

Anyway, it's running for about 2 minutes and temp is starting to come up. Then is starts stumbling a little bit, so I hit the throttle and it gets worse and eventually dies. That's weird, so I start it up again, runs for a couple seconds and dies again. Try to start it a couple more times and no luck. Check everything and can't figure it out for a few minutes. Everything looks in order but it just won't start.

Finally, I decide to run to the station and get another can of gas (I'll need it for cutting grass this weekend anyways, since I used the last of what I had for first-start). Put a gallon in the tank, primed the fuel pump a couple times and it ROARED to a start again!

Ha HA, too funny. I ran out of gas before I ever pulled out of the garage. :001_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
And I thought my mom running out of gas in her own driveway was once-in-a-lifetime

·
FFR 7469
551 Posts
Mark that is too funny. I had the same thing happen just after my first start and my son said, "Dad, maybe you are out of gas", and I replied that I put over a gallon on the first start and that couldn't be it, but sure enough he was right. You will be surprised and how fast the gas evaporates out of the gas tank when it is not capped off.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,146 Posts
I was taking everybody for a spin during my first go cart and ran out of gas on the direct opposite side of the subdivision. About a one mile walk. Still felt great!!!

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
I recently was able to get the Formula SAE team from a local university into a racetrack in my area for some "test-and-tune" time. They showed up wide-eyed and so excited, it was really fun to watch them as they unloaded and gawked at all the cool facilities. They got on the track (they had the go-kart track all to themselves) and did three laps before the car died. Yep, out of gas... They were so excited to get to the track, nobody thought to check. To add insult to injury, they had a gas can... but it was empty, too.

They all learned a valuable lesson that morning about failure to prepare. I'm guessing that's the last time they'll run out of gas at the track!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.