Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FFR recommended MPS autosalvage for the engine, trans, wiring harness. MPS seems very familiar with what is needed to get me going but i would like to shop around for comparison.

Does anyone have feedback/experience with other salvage yards and autoparts suppliers for engines and transmissions? for example, I see BL Autoparts aslo has a 'FFR package'.

I am looking for 'buyer beware' or recommendations. This is my first project and i am supprised on how 'national' this is; kit from Ma, engine from GA, wheels from CA... My MRK 4 kit should be here in a few weeks and i can't wait!

Thank you!
Pete

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forum. What state are you in? State laws vary and their rules are everything. So depending on where you live will determine your build. If you purchase an engine package from anyone, be sure you have real good documentaion to prove it's origin that will satisfy your state requirements.
Let the fun begin!!!

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
PM sent.

What Mike said is the most important advice you will receive.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Got my donor pallet from AMP in Arizona. Point of contact Tom Thompson. He mentioned that they have done over 600 pallets for FFR builders. They were very supportive in terms of initial contracting, packaging, and delivery; and have followed up on subsequent needs (e.g. immediately replaced the original donor starter, which developed a hot start issue, with another used one). The power-train is warranted for one year from first start.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Pete: Have you considered buying a donor vehicle rather than buying a donor pallet from a vendor? The route I chose was to purchase a complete donor through Copart Auctions. I was able to purchase a 2004 Mach 1 donor with 38K miles for $4400 plus about $700 in auction fees. I paid an outside inspector to check the vehicle for me prior to bidding. With transport fees and everything, I was in it about $6K to my door. I had priced a donor pallet from Cypress in the Bay Area and they wanted about $11K for a donor pallet with IRS components included but many more miles. When you consider that there are many parts from the donor that you can resell, your final cost comes down quite a bit. I was fortunate that the particular car I purchased had a "run/drive" guarantee which translated to the car would start/run/drive when it was received at the auction site. In my case, the inspector found that the car would not start, even when jumped. However, the remainder of the inspection showed the drive train to be in very good condition. The inspector suggested that with a new battery, the car would probably start. I took a risk an purchased the car based upon the inspector's assessment of the vehicle. I was fortunate, the inspector was correct, once a new battery was installed the car started on the first try. The engine and drive train were in very good condition. I was put off a bit by the auction fees on top of the sales price, but I still think I got a fair deal over all. The advantage of buying a complete car that runs is the you have a wire harness and electronic modules that match the engine. The matching components are very important unless you are going to re-flash the ECU for the car. For the modular engine donors with PATS, you will get a no start if all the electronics does not match including the instruments being present and hooked up. The PATS can be flashed out, which I have done to simplify the wiring. One other advantage of Copart is their inventory of vehicles. I was specifically looking for a 1999 Mustang Cobra or 2003/2004 Mach 1. Their site allows you to filter on the specific year and model of car you are looking for. I found a suitable Mach 1 was coming available every few weeks. I was able to find and purchase my donor in about a month.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Got my donor pallet from AMP in Arizona. Point of contact Tom Thompson. He mentioned that they have done over 600 pallets for FFR builders. They were very supportive in terms of initial contracting, packaging, and delivery; and have followed up on subsequent needs (e.g. immediately replaced the original donor starter, which developed a hot start issue, with another used one). The power-train is warranted for one year from first start.
I got my donor pallet from Tom at AMP also. Like Rick said, AMP was helpful and supportive.

David

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought a 98 Cobra donor kit from Prestige Mustang in GA. BEWARE!!! What was supposed to be a perfect running low mileage package turned out to be a pack of lies. A compression test an leakdown test revealed an engine which needs a rebuild. I was supposed to get a bill of sale with the vin of the donor car... didn't happen. After months of persistence, I finally recieved a rudimentary bill with a vin from another Cobra.. ..He was a smooth talker up front and more than willing to take my money, but that's where the fun ended. I can be thankful, though that the rest of the parts seem to be I'm over it now ok .and am still stoked about my build.

I should've dealt with MPS. I've heard good things about them.
Cheers,
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.