Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order my engine and tranny...I was going to order the 5.0L GT40 345hp performance Head long block assembly from ford..But come to find out it may not be emission legal..(Not sure if the heads have the holes for the air pump or if it will even bolt to it)..Seems like the only emission legal engine I can go with is a new stock 225hp 5.0 and maybe install a Supercharger....Also which tranny..I Have a choice world class T5 or the tremec..Pros and con on either..I know the tremec needs some work to bolt up...

If you have an opinion or recommendation I want to hear it..Thanks in advance

·
6,546 Posts
Get a good shop to build you the same engine with TFS Twisted Wedge heads or AFR 185's. Both have the air passages. If you stick to a mild cam (E303) and have cats, and it's tuned right you should pass the sniffer.

It shouldn't be too much more $$ either.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard Oben
Member # 52 posted September 10, 2002 09:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The SVO motor has the holes for the egr tube. Cheers Richard
Where can I find a SVO motor..Thank you

·
Senior Charter Member
616 Posts
i wouldnt even think of anything else but a tremec call mike forte, i think he has a sale going on for the 3550, and he does all the machining for you. a bolt in!! i got one from him and love it!!

·
2,372 Posts
Ditto on Kevin's Mike Forte reply! Mike is the man with respect to any high performance parts and tech help with those parts!He is also one of the few Ford Motorsports Racing dealers around. If you are in Mass. or the Northeast he is the way to go!

·
6,546 Posts
I peeked in the 2002 FRPP catalog, the engine has X303 heads on it, the pictures show no EGR.

However I have not seen these heads in person so it's "bench racing" or catalog info.

The catalog does state that the engine is not 50 state legal.

TFS Twisted Wedges carry Carb EO# D-369-1

Granted MA ain't CA, but the heads are legal begal.

The E303 has a EO# too, use a cobra intake, cats, and you should be fine if it's tuned properly.

It wasn't a consideration for my build so I used Victor Jr's.

·
3,213 Posts
What are you going to do for an exhaust? I guess all us poor fools who live here have to now use Cats. Anyone know if there are alternatives to the stock FFR sidepipes that can accomodate Cats? Can't see how they'd be possible with a 4 into 4 setup.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you run cats, why can't a replacement bypass tube be installed in their place when the sniffing is done??? I've only heard of them called "test tubes" down here. I know Random Technologies has no problem installing custom flanges on their high flow cats.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might just put J pipes back on or 4into 4..But my question is does the Aluminum GT40 heads have the air passages drilled for a simple Airpump install...Thank you

·
3,213 Posts
The 2002 FRPP catalog shows all of the GT40 style heads, including the P model, as not being smog legal. The P head listing even states that there are no air passages. Don't know about you, but these new emissions rules are really putting a crimp in my plans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.