Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new at this game...but love my cobra! Built last June ('04), 2400 miles on a 393 stroker and delivered to me 2 weeks ago. Drove it about 75 miles one way and the engine temp (water) never rose above 75 when on the highway. At stops, it will get to about 95+...depending on how long you sit. There is a manual fan (which I am thinking about converting to temp controlled)...but the question is...

Is my engine running too cold? Is there such a thing?

I know...better cold than hot and I haven't driven it yet in Aug. in Houston yet either. But I am just curious on comments.

Thanks and I hope to be out here more!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
F or C, 95C is not bad at all.

If it is F it seems awful cold to me - an EFI car wants to be warmer for sure 180+F. The oil temp should be warmer to cook out the condensation. You might want to check out the thermostat - open all the time and it might be like your description. Mine is stuck open now :D cruising and it will not warm up it take a lot of start stop to get it warm.

·
6,654 Posts
Something sounds really funny. Is it possible that your gauges are in Celcius?

75C = 167F
95C = 203F

Those numbers would be right!

-R

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, its running too cold. Mine was running at 150F and I changed to a hotter thermostat and have gotten it up to 170F. Best operating temp for engine is 180-210. Running too cold is not good for it. Must be something wrong if its running that cold. Does it have a thermostat in it? Either that or you may have a faulty sender or gauge.

·
6,654 Posts
It sounds like it's running right about where it should then.

R :D

·
4,494 Posts
Assuming the gauge is reading F and not C, you are running way to cold. The engine wants to run 185-200. I suspect either Thermostat is stuck open or there is no thermostat at all. Put in a 185 or 195 degree thermostat. If you are changing fan over to automatic, have it come on at about 210, otherwise it will be on all the time.

Bill

·
Long Time Member
306 Posts
See Aron, I told you it was to cold.........at least in F. Celsius guages, geez you really did want to go British authentic

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Britsh authentic??

Check that, guys I am pretty sure that in the 60s the Brit's were still running Feet, Inches and Fairenheit (sp?) Maybe one of our islanders will chime it there.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,934 Posts
I'm not an Englishman but worked on British cars from the 50's and 60's for several years and at that time most of the gauges where in Fairenheit. As a side note most of them was also positive ground YIKES!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kenny, your right...to be completely honest...I never saw the "C" and assumed American F...I do want to add an automatic fan temp relay...

I saw the 100 fetish...even a little scared to type it here...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts