Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for clutch pressure plate to flywheel fasteners to come in. Is there any issues with putting the sotck Ford bellhousing, fork, throwout bearing, and dust cover on the T-5 to get ahead of the game. Then when I get the clutch on, just bolt up the rest as a single unit?

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I think you would have one heck of a time trying to get the input shaft to line up with the bellhousing in the way. I would stick with the time trued method of putting on the pressure plate and aligning the disk, then bell housing, fork, etc. My two cents...Pete

·
2,274 Posts
I'd wait. Usuaully some "english" needs to be applied to the trans to get it in and it would be much harder with the bell housing on.

Try all the bolts first and make sure you have the dowels in the flywheel.

Brian

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
It depends upon how you are mating the engine and trans...

I bolted the bellhousing to the trans first and then when it was time to mate engine and trans I had the trans on a workbench and the engine on the hoist. Used engine leveler to get the correct angle and slid them together...

The modular transmissions have an integral bellhousing so they HAVE to do it this way...

Here's a photo of the bellhousing already on and I'm checking the input shaft spline to clutch disc and starter bolt fitment here as well...

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
I've done dozens of clutches but all on imports where the bellhousing is integral to the trans so I never even thought about installing the housing first and the trans as a second step.One thing I will recommend is that you stick the driveshaft into the back of the trans.It's amazing how a little rotation will help line up the splines on install.Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts