Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking to see if anyone has had issues with Pertronics Flamethrower II distributor and coil on an Engine Factory 351/400. Driving freeway speed and it shut off compeletely just like turning the key off....no miss, no stutter, no backfire, but it would crank fine. Tried re-starting 10 minutes later and it fired right up and made it home - ran fine. Has started and run well at home several times since, without putting it on the road at high speed. Will be checking all relevant ground wires, solenoid, key switch, etc. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Check for heat as well. Others have had similar issues as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coil is mounted right next to the distr on top of the intake manifold.
The motor was running at normal temp and it was about 75 degrees that day.
Guess one question is, can a coil just shut off, cool down, then start working again like normal ?
Thanks

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Yes, and so can an ignition module...

Try a spare coil (ensure it has the same internal resistance) and drive it with the test coil for a while...

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I had a similar problem early this spring and found that I had made a poor wiring connection (spade terminal) on the ground side of the ignition. I found the problem by pulling kind of hard on the connections with the engine running. Hope you can find your problem as easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.