Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inviting comments on the following engine improvements. I have a '88 Conv. GT Donor w/ 302 w/ 134k mi & a T5. The donor ran very strong, but here are my plans;

B-Cam, w/ Lifter set
Chrome "Cobra" Valve Covers
Ported Intake Manifold
70 mm Throddle body & EGR Plate
New Timing Chain w/ Gear Kit
Mass Air Meter
New Oil Pan, Oil Pump and Screen
New Pullies and Engine Mount
New Wire Harness
New Fuel Pump "2551ph"
Stock rear end, and
Cobra Rs - 9x17, 245 frnt. & 295 rear, w/ a 14" wheel.

Any thoughts on projected HP, torque, makes for parts etc. I'm going for mostly street and occasional autocross use. What do you guys think? All input appreciated.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Jeff,

I have the b-cam on a mostly stock motor. I don't have any concrete numbers but the seat of my pants tells me that you loose a little low-end torque and gain a little top end HP. The best thing about the b-cam is the lumpy idle. It sounds really mean. People who love muscle cars smile ear-to-ear when I fire it up.

The b-cam doesn't like to be driven under 2000 rpm. I originally had a 3:08 rear and it was a challenge to get the car out of my driveway which has a slight incline. I changed to a 3:55 gear, modified my gas pedal to reduce it's sensitivity, and added a second return spring to the throttle. These changes made a HUGE difference and the car is now a blast to drive. I don't think you will be happy with the stock gearing and a b-cam.

Frank

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Showtime,

You might want to consider a different rear end and a set of gt40p heads. You need to convert to mass air before you consider cams, throttle bodies or such. The e cam is better with EFI and there's no need to upgrade the rockers with the b or e. 3.55 gears will add the most.

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the input guys. I may have to push that rear end off till next year. Have a little one on the way and trying to get the most bang for the buck in the initial buildout.

Any recommendations on brand selections? I have a local mechanic providing me some direction and supervising the build, but I know you guys have a wealth of information. I have to get this think done soon as the little one (looks like a boy)is due in early May!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Jeff,

Don't put a nickel in the engine past gaskets, clutch and paint.

Install 3.55s, 245s front and 275 rears.

Wire diet the harness and enjoy your 225HP Cobra. It will take awhile but you will learn whether you need horsepower or suspention upgrades.

Roger

·
10,171 Posts
Roger is correct-tow-mundo on this one imho..
the key word here is "baby on the way"
make this car as dependable as you can.. don't worry about the horse power... it will lite them up in 2 gears.. all you need is the 3:55's..
Make your car clean and neat.... put any extra money in making it look good.. it runs plenty good stock..... NOW,REMEMBER THIS IS JUST MY OPINION... AND I RARELY HAVE ONE ;)
On... and by the way.. when the young'un drops..
You may just forget about the cobra..good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.