Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carburated 302 was running, although a bit rich, and when I took a timing light to it, it appeared to be at about 8degrees before TDC. I advanced it a little, and while it sounded a lot better, it puttered out after about 30 seconds of running. The only changes prior to that were adjusting the secondary float bowl was spuriting gas out the top after I adjusted it because there was no sign of fuel near the threads when I took off the sight plugs. (Only ran like that for less than a minute) The primary had a fine mist comming out of the vent after adjusting. Need to do a more scientific adjustment, but until she runs, cannot do that. Now, she will not fire up. The timing light flashes, so I am pretty sure I have spark. At a minimum, there is a good gush of fuel when I push on the throttle linkage. After she died the first time, the distributor did move a little more than I wanted it to when I tried backing off on the advance.

Any suggestions on getting this thing fired up again?

Tom

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car sat overnight. It has been a long time since I was near a carbed car. Would the flood not have solved itself overnight (we have enough flooding in Illinois as it is)? I have been dinking aroud with the timing, thinking that was it, what is the best method to get it back close to timed. Right now, I parked where the rotor is pointing when engine is at TDC. I am lining the #1 cylinder on the cap slightly to the right of that mark, presuming that this will have the timing slightly advanced. The engine has been started and stopped on several occasions, but only has about 1 mile of driving on it. Tommorow morning, I plan to take the carb off, and try to set the floats by adjusting them to be just even with the top of the sight hole with the carb turned upside down. I was told that this is a good rough start.

Tom

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a stupid question, as I fell for that one last time. There is definately gas, and it is acting differently. When there was no gas, the first couple of tries, I would get an attempt to fire followed by it dying. Now, there is nothing. I added a gallon just to make sure.

Tom

·
6,546 Posts
Tom:

My .02:

Find TDC on #1 (Foremost cylinder on the passenger side).

Make sure the rotor in the distributor cap is pointed @ #1 and not "trailing" #1.

Give her a whirl.

Whatcha using for a carb?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Distributor is not 180 degrees out. Like I said, it has run before, just a little rich and a little pingy. Going to adjust the floats off of the car, bring the crank to TDC on the compressions stroke, line up the distributor and try starting it out of the garage. I have not been holding down the accelerator at all when starting, but once I get it started, usually, it has kicked right over by reaching in and turning the key.

Tom

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts